Anyone have a Kindle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
CT
Why not get the old IPad for her? It is backlit, you can load nook, kindle, ibooks and whatever google's new one or she could use it for anything else she wants. I read at night when everyone is asleep so I could not live without my backlighting!

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
CtTortoiseMom said:
Why not get the old IPad for her? It is backlit, you can load nook, kindle, ibooks and whatever google's new one or she could use it for anything else she wants. I read at night when everyone is asleep so I could not live without my backlighting!

I agree that the ipad is superior...but it sounds like a waste if all she's going to be doing is reading. She sounds like an older female so I can imagine the confusion if she got an ipad.

The new Nook

Cfr200

10 Year Member!
Springfield, Mo
I have to disagree about the IPad being far superior for reading the Kindle is much better. Using and IPad for reading is like reading on your computer after a while it bothers your eyes and is very hard to read outside. The Kindle does not have either of these problems, plus you do not need to buy a 3G plan with the Kindle not to mention that it cost a 1/3 of the price. There is now a 3G Kindle that cost $165 bucks if you don't mind having ads on the screen saver.

I have both and use the Kindle for reading and the IPad is an expensive toy. The E-ink display on the Kindle is wonderful for reading and I normally get a month of reading before I have to recharge it which makes it wonderful to take on a trip.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
I agree about the IPad. I just threw that in for topic debate. I already own a B&N Nook with E-Ink and it is wonderful. Just thinking about upgrading to the color or just get an IPad... Then I can download all the reader software and get my books from Amazon, B&N and wherever ebooks are sold.

Again, I can download PDF files into my Nook...I don't think you can do that with Kindle.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Nook:

Incredibly easy—just touch and read
Ultra-light, thin and the longest battery life (they claim 2 months)
Most advanced E Ink® 6" display with crisp fonts
Wifi version

$139

In terms of Reading? Yes, a kindle or nook is superior. But I meant in terms of all around usage. Ipad has way more capabilities.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I think is you are just interested in reading a book, the kindle is the way to go. If it's for magazines, or childrens books then the color Nook is great. And for doing all the other stuff, besides reading the Ipad is the best. The only thing I like it for is to read, so the Kindle is just what I'm looking for. I really love it.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Cfr200 said:
I have to disagree about the IPad being far superior for reading the Kindle is much better. Using and IPad for reading is like reading on your computer after a while it bothers your eyes and is very hard to read outside. The Kindle does not have either of these problems, plus you do not need to buy a 3G plan with the Kindle not to mention that it cost a 1/3 of the price. There is now a 3G Kindle that cost $165 bucks if you don't mind having ads on the screen saver.

I have both and use the Kindle for reading and the IPad is an expensive toy. The E-ink display on the Kindle is wonderful for reading and I normally get a month of reading before I have to recharge it which makes it wonderful to take on a trip.

I don't know about the kindle because I only use my IPad but I usually read in my iBooks library and it has a dimmer for the lighting.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
I have a Kobo and I love it (it is like the Kindle) and I agree with the others, if you look for something to read book, an Ereader is the way to go (in my opinion of course ;) )

efciv

10 Year Member!
Calimesa, CA
Just like Terryo, I wanted a Kindle to read books and get away from just the magazines I was reading. I can't put it down. My wife also got me a lighted cover, which really makes holding the Kindle easy for different reading positions. Absolutely the best "thing" I've asked for/received in a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.