Anyone know anything about Bois D' Arc trees?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Anyboby know anything abhe fruit on the boi darc tree. Its srarch results dont trll much about it. I did not ser the fruit on poisonous list. Just wondeting if anyone knows about it. Also known ad horse apples.

Wow I hate this new phone. Sorry about all the typos.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The Osage Orange used to be used to repel bugs by placing cut branches around inside the house. The fruit is not edible, however the seeds inside the fruit are. It has stiff thorns and before the invention of barbed wire, was used to keep wildlife out of areas where they weren't wanted.

I had never heard of the tree, but after reading about it in the Wiki search, I think I'd like to have a couple of them.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
theyre really cool. I have quite a few on the tortoise property. The Male thats in the middle of my outdoor area for red and yellowfoot pens is starting to fruit. I caught my yellowfoot female mutilating one of the horse apples. I never really looked the fruit up if was toxic or not before and when i did I noticed it wasnt on the list, but still didnt know. They are cool trees, they are a very very hard species. They used these chopped up for old pier and beam foundations. Well at least down here in texas. The female is a protected species in texas. Theyre are 3 females along the property line so the devolopers are gonna have hell with me if they ever try to encroach(well thats many years from now, still grassland, but gotta think ahead) anyway blah blah blah. I babled alot. Just wondering if horse apples were toxic or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.