Anyone recognize this leaf?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Republic O' Tejas
04983932-478f-4381-ae8c-3911718cd17b

My goats love eating these leaves, as do my tortoises, so I'd like to buy at least a few more to plant in my front yard...can anyone give me an idea what kind of tree this leaf comes from?

TIA! :cool:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It would be helpful to see the whole plant. It sort of looks to be in the mullberry family, but I'd need to see the plant.

EKLC

5 Year Member
looks like elm, which is acceptable forage. Check it out though, I'm not an expert

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Chinese Elm is the first that popped in the peanut gallery here...:p

They are awesome trees...if this is indeed what you have--they are a prolific seeder....so keep an eye out for them popping up in places you would not want a 40-50 foot tree...lol... the good thing is that if you do locate some sprouts in your yard....put the hose right on the sprout and turn it onto barely a trickle and leave it for the night and then go back in the am....firmly grasp the sprout/tree as close to the ground level as possible and have a firm hold and slowly slowly pull it straight up...you will get the entire tap root and supporting lateral roots...but the hose has to trickle on it all night (their tap is nearly twice as long into the ground as the tree that is above ground)...they do well in transplanting as well....last year I located and transferred about 9 sprouts into pots and took them to a friends house who has nearly no trees...this year I will likely find more and will plant them around the property....and they grow super super fast and strong.... okay, I will stop now....can you tell I love Chinese Elms....lol :p

mee again....the leaves are loved by the torts here too...the leaves have a sweet type of taste....okay toodles... ;)

Tyrtle

5 Year Member
Arvada, Colorado
Looks like Elm to me too. And the reason I know this is because I am always trying to get rid of the seedlings. They propagate like mad and are difficult to kill. Here in Colorado they are an unwanted tree.

Too bad I can't send some your way.

Tyrtle said:
Looks like Elm to me too. And the reason I know this is because I am always trying to get rid of the seedlings. They propagate like mad and are difficult to kill. Here in Colorado they are an unwanted tree.

Too bad I can't send some your way.

I went and looked up the kind we have in Colorado are American or Siberian Elms. Not Chinese Elms.

Status
Not open for further replies.