What type of "clover" is this? From Sulcatafood seed mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeuroNaka

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles, CA
Hi everyone. My leopards love the grasses grown from sulcatafood.com, especially this clover-like broad leaf. Can anyone identify it for me? I'm not even sure if it's really a clover (of Trifolium genus). It only has 2 leaves to it, and each leaf has an indentation in the middle, making them look like really round hearts. Thanks!

~Jonathan

988629_10102395237222226_97250147_n.jpg

Teodora'sDAD

5 Year Member
Michigan
Those are just the "seed leaves" seeds tend to send up leaves that resemble their seed shape.. the next set of leaves should look more like a normal plant.

NeuroNaka

10 Year Member!
Los Angeles, CA
Thank you Teodora'sDAD. Do you know what type of plant it is? I'm referring to the seed leaves in the middle, the one with two leaves, the dicot. It's obviously different from the surrounding monocots, which makes me think it's not a true grass. My tortoises absolutely love them above anything else, so I'd like to know what they are so I can try to buy some seeds exclusively.

More pictures. Sorry, they're not that good.

kBUF0wm.jpg

Teodora'sDAD

5 Year Member
Michigan
That was a hard one for me. Looked to be in "cress" family. looked it up and read the any kind of cress isnt good for tortoises.. However, I wasnt far! Did some research and looks to be turnip sprouts... The greens of the turnip sprouts are very healthy for tortoises, right up there with dandelions! look look it up and see if you agree.

NeuroNaka

10 Year Member!
Los Angeles, CA
Teodora said:
That was a hard one for me. Looked to be in "cress" family. looked it up and read the any kind of cress isnt good for tortoises.. However, I wasnt far! Did some research and looks to be turnip sprouts... The greens of the turnip sprouts are very healthy for tortoises, right up there with dandelions! look look it up and see if you agree.

Thank you soooooo much! After looking them up, I came across this picture.
radish_sprouts.JPG

Looks like they're radish sprouts. You have totally made my day. :D

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
My leopard loves those, I have the sulcata seed as well and that's the only thing he will eat from it.

TXTortOwner

5 Year Member
It's likely to be any of the "greens". Both the arugula and collards that I grew from seed looked like this initially.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The primary leaves on a sprouted seed almost all look alike from plant to plant. Most often the broad-leaf seeds that sprout in mixtures such as you bought are usually chia.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
If it is chia, you can get those in bulk at most whole foods stores...also in the little heads at CVS. LOL

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Those first leaves of any dicot are called cotyledons, then the plant will get it's first true leaves. One plant whose true leaves look like that, and might well be in the seed mix is dichondra.

Maybe you could tell us what plants are supposed to be in the mix?

Maybe the folks at sulcatafood.com would answer your question and you could post that here, or they could directly. Self promotion is OK, and then we could see better, one and all!

Will

EKLC

5 Year Member
I'm with Yvonne, I think they are chia. Every time I plant a seed mix I get grass and chia, and the chia looks just like that

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yvonne is right here. I have been planting mixes with all of the above, and all the plants start out looking like that. Give them some time to sprout and grow their first leaves, and then you will know what it is. Tyler's Testudo Mix has coriander, cilantro, radishes, turnips, and more, an ALL of it looks just like that until it grows its second set of leaves. I planted some African Hibiscus seeds with the mix, and IT looked just like that too.

redbeef

5 Year Member
a lot of plants look like that as sprouts: wait for true leaves.

Status
Not open for further replies.