Aquatic Turtle Enclosure (breeding setups?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pensacola, FL
Does anyone have any pictures of aquatic turtle setups? I'd like to see a few examples of what people are using to make their turtles happy and healthy, but most importantly I'd like to see some setups that have laying areas for the females to lay eggs and what not. Please help me out with pictures.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
What species are you thinking? If you google above tank basking areas I've thought about that for if I ever planned to breed aquatics

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
Texas Maps and other map species, i plan to include other rarer species but one thing at a time. I've looked at google and the above ground basking things are only good for the basking portion but as far as laying eggs there needs to be a nest box. I'm getting mixed feedback saying that turtles breed better in wetland tubs vs a glass aquarium scenario. I'd like to see if anyone has personal experience with this as info on the web is few and far between. If you have pics keep them coming

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
I've heard water land tubs also were good for breeding never tried it my self. I was goin to make the basking area on a tank above but goes over to the left or right of the tank, then I would have a tub of some sort with the substrate that goes deep enough for a nest. Mind you it's all a plan right now I'm not sure how it would work.

A cheaper way Is making your own type of water land tub with wood and pond liner. I tossed this idea around for a bit. Above ground ponds is what I googled. I can imagine you can almost go any shape with building a wood frame then just line it with pond liner

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
I have no pics because I have no aquatic turtle right now, but you could use the above tank basking area idea but put it next to the tank. I have thought about this a bunch but haven't done it yet.

What I mean is put a small tote next to the tank so the tops line up, fill the tote with nesting medium/substrate, make a ramp from the water to the tote, and wall it off. You can even make a basking area in there depending on the size tote you go with, and fill the tank all the way to the top for more swimming room.

---

As millerlite suggested haha when I started posting you hadn't replied yet.

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
jjsull33 said:
I have no pics because I have no aquatic turtle right now, but you could use the above tank basking area idea but put it next to the tank. I have thought about this a bunch but haven't done it yet.

What I mean is put a small tote next to the tank so the tops line up, fill the tote with nesting medium/substrate, make a ramp from the water to the tote, and wall it off. You can even make a basking area in there depending on the size tote you go with, and fill the tank all the way to the top for more swimming room.

---

As millerlite suggested haha when I started posting you hadn't replied yet.

I like this idea.

Keep bringing in more ideas or pictures please:)

JayTyler

5 Year Member
I'm new to this and want to know how to post things? Can some please tell how??

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
As far as pictures and videos most of us use photobucket, then once it's uploaded on photobucket you copy the code where it says " IMG" then paste it onto the post you want to submit on here. Or you can do it by clicking new reply....then it's a custom pot....scroll down and it'll say add attachment ...browse....browse your files then select which files to import.....only thing I don't like is how small the pictures show up...you have to click on each one just to see what it is....sort of a post killer if you ask me. Hope this helped Jay

JayTyler

5 Year Member
Thanks! But how do u u ask questions and things like that?

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
AustinASU said:
As far as pictures and videos most of us use photobucket, then once it's uploaded on photobucket you copy the code where it says " IMG" then paste it onto the post you want to submit on here. Or you can do it by clicking new reply....then it's a custom pot....scroll down and it'll say add attachment ...browse....browse your files then select which files to import.....only thing I don't like is how small the pictures show up...you have to click on each one just to see what it is....sort of a post killer if you ask me. Hope this helped Jay

Keep the ideas flowing:) Maybe mods might add an aquatic enclosure blog section ;)

brandhllg

5 Year Member
Maumelle Arkansas
I'm fixing to start on my turtle build, I'm going to use a stock tank and then a platform off of that with a cut out to drop a smaller tote for them to dig into. I have heard stock tanks work great and they have a plug at the bottom to help drain it during cleanings. Btw thanks for the swirl filter idea, I have added this to my plan.

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
Yeah you definitely want a swirl filter as mechanical filtration will not do anything to turtle poop unless you have a bead filter.....too expensive. But I bet if done right you could use the turtle urate water leaving the swirl filter to go in a small aqua phonic grow bed where you could grow greens for your turtles and tortoises....won't be much but hey no more carbon filters and the plants will adjust the water ph to around 7. Do you plan on using a polyethylene tank, I've heard those galvanized tanks rust in a few years. Poly tanks will bust if they get ice but all you gotta do is plastic weld it back together.

brandhllg

5 Year Member
Maumelle Arkansas
Yeah I'm looking at the poly. Stock tank made by Rubbermaid 150 gallon. I have read turtles won't breed unless you have deep water so, I thought the depth would be more than enough. Don't know how true that info is but hey depth won't hurt. I'm doing Diamond backs and here in Ar with the temp so hot I'm actually dedicating an area in my garage for this. I enclosed and insulated the garage this last past year to winter my sulcata. With Diamonds being so prone to shell rot and other infections I keep the water at 78 as suggested by breeders of the species. That's why I was asking about skimming so thanks for setting me straight on that, did a little research and kinda felt stupid for posting lol.

I don't like the whole carbon filtering in the first place they have actually linked it with the cause of lateral line fin erosion in tangs, it's not good for coral so I don't see where it really benefits turtles.

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
No no not many people know this stuff about filtering, i do aquaculture as a hobby too so thats why i had a leg up there. What you could do is find brackish water plants to put in a grow bed to help filter things out....like mangroves or what not.

brandhllg

5 Year Member
Maumelle Arkansas
Yeah I already thought about that, the sump I have below my reef setup is ran purely off of a natural setup, the refugium does all the filtering which I have mangrove planted to filter the water as well as hair and wire algae, some live rock and mud. Works great! My coral and fish thrive and my tank is stocked up! I run zero nitrites, zero ammonia zero nitrates, my parameters stay perfect. I do have to add a little phosphate guard here and there but for short periods.

brandhllg

5 Year Member
Maumelle Arkansas
My diamond backs are in entirely fresh right now, I read to not to start the transition until they are about 4", I'm going to do it slowly, light brackish at 1.006 and move from there. A lot of people use rock salt, I dunno about that. If they live in salt marches then wouldn't a fine reef salt work better? Plus it has calcium and other est. elements already in the mix, where as rock salt doesn't contain any benefits.
If you were asking about the reef it's ran at a constant 1.026.

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
You can do it that way but really all rock salt does is soften the water if you have hard water Lols. I'd use instant ocean reef and you'd be set.

Keep bringing ideas in everyone:)

Status
Not open for further replies.