Waterland Tubs

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pensacola, FL
Does anyone have the Large waterland tub? I'd love to hear of anyone out there who uses them, as well as species being raised in them. Also would like to see examples of filter setups.

Diamondbacks4Life

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
I have medium waterland tub, so not what your looking for. Just a smaller version. Still like to see an example?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Sorry, I only dream of owning a few of them.

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
Yeah tid still love to see an example. I know they are quite exspensive, but with me being in the Air force it's easier to move one of these than a 800lb glass aquarium.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:D That would be so true. I have saw some wonderful setups with them, but as usual for me, I never took pictures. Seems the last ones were housing the McCords at the St Louis zoo if memory serves me.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
The only Large Water Waterland I've seen in action held Geoclemys hamiltonii, and it was great for a 2.4 breeding group, I believe.

THey were kept outdoors. If keeping a Waterland outdoors, it is a good idea to insert a tube in the water section for overflow so that, during heavy rains, the land potion does not flood.

I keep a Medium Waterland for my Pacific Pond Turtles. It is really great. My only complaint is that you need SOOO much substrate to fill the land section, when no turtles are going to borrow down THAT far.

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
The large would be inside, running on a wet dry sump filter on a light weight steel stand. Haha yeah a drain hole for outside use would be a must!!! Couldn't you make a false bottom on the land part so that you use less substrate.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
AustinASU said:
The large would be inside, running on a wet dry sump filter on a light weight steel stand. Haha yeah a drain hole for outside use would be a must!!! Couldn't you make a false bottom on the land part so that you use less substrate.

Yes I actually have. It's not something I look forward to doing for a "all in one" habitat that costs me 550 bucks to buy and ship. If I have to build something for the nesting area, why not just buy a bigger stock tank for cheap and build the nest box itself? Thats the realization I have reached recently. WaterLands are as good as it gets, obviously, but I like to find creative ways to make more cost effective options work well.

theTurtleRoom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lititz, PA
Anthony P said:
AustinASU said:

Yes I actually have. It's not something I look forward to doing for a "all in one" habitat that costs me 550 bucks to buy and ship. If I have to build something for the nesting area, why not just buy a bigger stock tank for cheap and build the nest box itself? Thats the realization I have reached recently. WaterLands are as good as it gets, obviously, but I like to find creative ways to make more cost effective options work well.

An important observation. Waterlands are great, but not a "perfect" product. As someone with a lot of experience using them (and selling them), there are definitely things I would do differently if I were designing them. There are depth issues with both land and water setups for assorted reasons.

For what its worth, folks, I recommend setting up a drain for inside, as well, either plumbing it directly into the house plumbing, or enabling a hose hookup for draining to a floor drain or sump. Emptying that much water by any other method can be quite time consuming - even with the Medium water tubs that only hold 65 gallons.

Gerards

5 Year Member
Florida
theTurtleRoom said:
Anthony P said:
AustinASU said:

An important observation. Waterlands are great, but not a "perfect" product. As someone with a lot of experience using them (and selling them), there are definitely things I would do differently if I were designing them. There are depth issues with both land and water setups for assorted reasons.

For what its worth, folks, I recommend setting up a drain for inside, as well, either plumbing it directly into the house plumbing, or enabling a hose hookup for draining to a floor drain or sump. Emptying that much water by any other method can be quite time consuming - even with the Medium water tubs that only hold 65 gallons.

I use a lot of waterlands, both land and water, in all sizes. There are definitely some snags with something's, but depending on your situation, you can modify for most of them. I know I cheat by having them outside year round, so mine don't apply to have to keep them inside and filtered. If you need to have less water, that's a easy one to fix. Just drill a drain hole, put a bulk head and overfill. Then just fill the tub with sand until you get the depth you need. Again, I don't know how that effects having to keep them inside and filtered.

I do love the water tubs for quarantine or establishing wild caught animals. It's nice to have a small enclousers to watch their every move while they acclimate, and they're ready to go when ever you need them.

I have them in old school colors.
60942f0d21d32b6e6cde349622d95b2d.jpg

theTurtleRoom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lititz, PA
AustinASU said:
How are you doing the filtering outside?

Most don't. They use them more like ponds outside. I can't speak for Gerard, but most install an overflow in case of rain. Well, because of that, when it rains, it aerates the water, plus replaces water in the tank and freshens it up.

If it doesn't rain for a while? Pull the drain and just put in fresh water. Water changes are super easy with these setups outside, especially if a drain is installed.

Gerards said:
I use a lot of waterlands, both land and water, in all sizes. There are definitely some snags with something's, but depending on your situation, you can modify for most of them. I know I cheat by having them outside year round, so mine don't apply to have to keep them inside and filtered. If you need to have less water, that's a easy one to fix. Just drill a drain hole, put a bulk head and overfill. Then just fill the tub with sand until you get the depth you need. Again, I don't know how that effects having to keep them inside and filtered.

Gerard - Joshua and I regularly keep sand in his. We just use canister filters like we would on any other setup with sand substrate!

Diamondbacks4Life

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Well apparently i have like no pictures of it setup haha. I always let it get over grown with water hyacinths.
ImageUploadedByTortForum1384521165.719179.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1384521174.752481.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1384521183.770172.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Gerards

5 Year Member
Florida
theTurtleRoom said:
AustinASU said:
How are you doing the filtering outside?

Most don't. They use them more like ponds outside. I can't speak for Gerard, but most install an overflow in case of rain. Well, because of that, when it rains, it aerates the water, plus replaces water in the tank and freshens it up.

If it doesn't rain for a while? Pull the drain and just put in fresh water. Water changes are super easy with these setups outside, especially if a drain is installed.

Gerards said:

Gerard - Joshua and I regularly keep sand in his. We just use canister filters like we would on any other setup with sand substrate!

I meant filling the tub half way with sand to make it shallower. It makes the amount of water significantly less, I thought that would make it harder to filter? I use overfills and have them piped with their own water fill. It works well with that, but I thought if you needed to filter it, it might not work well.

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
On the overflow for the bottom, couldn't you just add a water spicket and drain water out through a water house?

Gerards

5 Year Member
Florida
AustinASU said:
On the overflow for the bottom, couldn't you just add a water spicket and drain water out through a water house?

Yes, you could. I use 2" bulk heads, it makes completely draining a lot easier and makes it harder for 1 leaf to block the hole and over fill the enclosure. We are putting 12 new 600 gallon polys in now with 3" bulk heads, all drained to a 24" diameter, 20' deep drain. I'm very excited to finish these. 3 down, 9 to go.
782B863F-57BB-4413-B373-D9F3DD251B4C-3093-000001570C634BE4_zps710d0e06.jpg

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Gerards said:
AustinASU said:

Yes, you could. I use 2" bulk heads, it makes completely draining a lot easier and makes it harder for 1 leaf to block the hole and over fill the enclosure. We are putting 12 new 600 gallon polys in now with 3" bulk heads, all drained to a 24" diameter, 20' deep drain. I'm very excited to finish these. 3 down, 9 to go.
782B863F-57BB-4413-B373-D9F3DD251B4C-3093-000001570C634BE4_zps710d0e06.jpg

Wow... This is awesome. Do you know what species are gunna be in which? Or is that still a mystery? That's awesome work tho!

Kyle