Waterland Tubs

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Gerards said:
. We are putting 12 new 600 gallon polys in now with 3" bulk heads, all drained to a 24" diameter, 20' deep drain. I'm very excited to finish these. 3 down, 9 to go.

Can we see how you have those setup (with turtles and stuff) when your done with them?

Anthony P said:
If I have to build something for the nesting area, why not just buy a bigger stock tank for cheap and build the nest box itself? Thats the realization I have reached recently. WaterLands are as good as it gets, obviously, but I like to find creative ways to make more cost effective options work well.

Could you show us what you use/do for the nesting boxes, please? I use stock tanks, but haven't hit on a really good way to do the land/nesting areas.

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
As jacqui said, nesting boxes.....how do you do yours ....mine looks like an eye sore.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
AustinASU said:
As jacqui said, nesting boxes.....how do you do yours ....mine looks like an eye sore.

Mine are worse then that and I normally just scrap them. :rolleyes: :(

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
These videos show some of the nest boxes I have constructed for my aquatics.

Here's a video with a nest box I built for a spotted turtle stock tank| https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ufijUU4Gqc

Here's one I built on an outdoor pond box for Caramel RES| https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYvMOAy7qeY

And finally, a little one that I built for a small Kinosternon baurii breeding group| https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmD8czgxXn4

The nest box on he spotted stock tank rest completely on the tank. The box on the pond is supported by the side of the pond and supports on the back end. For the small Mud Turtle enclosure, the nest box rests completely on the ground. I try to keep in mind that some turtles might not lay if the substrate they are digging into is lower than the water level of their enclosure. This behavior is probably to avoid nest flooding.

Hope that all helps.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I am so looking forward to tomorrow, Monday, when I go into town so I can stop at the library to check these out. My own laptop is so slow I get at best 4 seconds and then I have to wait a minute or two for the next 2-4 seconds. :(

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
Gerards, i see a concrete slab on top..do you plan on adding a greenhouse?

Gerards

5 Year Member
Florida
AustinASU said:
Gerards, i see a concrete slab on top..do you plan on adding a greenhouse?

It's actually just sand, to level them out. These are in Miami, greenhouses aren't needed there. The flow through is what we use to heat the water, if needed. The water comes out of the ground in the mid 70's year round, that's our heater. I'll post more pics when my dad finishes the 12, I'm going to help with the 3000 gallon for the albino softshells, this weekend.
84c9ba84fd09f3197718ddfc0f909d17_zps037c2487.jpg

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
Very cool, running just a one pump system? What motor are you using?

I've been trying to find an indoor tank thats not going to look too bad. 500-1000gal would be awesome for my borneo....these look promising http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories/945/Fiberglass-Tanks-With-Window , but they are a bit pricey. I was wondering if i could rhino line a galvanized steel tub and go that route.

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
I'm thinking i'm going to go bigger than a 200......in the long run my borneo will outgrow a 200 in a few months.....sooo might as well go 500-700 gallon.

Gerards

5 Year Member
Florida
AustinASU said:
I'm thinking i'm going to go bigger than a 200......in the long run my borneo will outgrow a 200 in a few months.....sooo might as well go 500-700 gallon.

You have a Orlitia or Batagar? You should go with the one I just put in, it might hold 1 for awhile.

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
Batagar :p

Also are you referring to the 600 round? I have one, but i don't want one in my reptile room as it'd take up way too much room.