Are Leopard Tortoises Shy?

In general do you find Leopard tortoises to be a shy species?

• Yes.

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • No.

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Maybe. Sometimes. It depends on a lot of factors...

Votes: 19 54.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
emysemys said:
Hey...I resent that! We're not JUST a forum. We're a group of folks who really like each other, and who LOVE to talk tortoise. There are even a few here who I call friend! So, we're not JUST a forum, we're THE Tortoise Forum!!
I don't like anyone here. Also what ever gave you the idea that I love to talk about tortoises?

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
I love everyone. Yes, even you Tom. Now bring it on in for the real thing (big bear hugs for all) :)

John

5 Year Member
Man, where was the hug offer two hours ago when I was still covered in mud and ticks?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
onarock said:
Interesting. Maybe from all the noises outside and the different environment. Do they spend more time in or out?

Jacqui said:
Another big difference may be if they are inside or outside. For the most part my tortoises (all species, not just the Leopards), are much friendlier and less shy inside then outside.

Depending upon which animal we are talking about and of course the weather that year, as a rule they start going out in April and come in late Sept/Oct. So just about 50/50 in and out.

I think it is actually a more peaceful type of noise outside (birds, the wind, bugs, little traffic noise...except for the trains ever 15 min. :D). Inside you have doors closing, people walking right next to you, fans and other machines in the house, plus the VCR).

squamata said:
Man, where was the hug offer two hours ago when I was still covered in mud and ticks?

Would you be offering me a hug now? I am soaked with sweat.

I don't think of us as JUST a forum either. I think of us as a family. Some times we laugh, some times we cry, some times we snap at each other, but at the end of the day, we are still family in spite of ourselves at times.

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Leopards :). Have you given any thought on why they seem less shy. Are they on tables? Maybe you dont appear as large when they are on tables apposed to the ground. I dont know. Mine are always outside.

John

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
onarock said:
Interesting. Maybe from all the noises outside and the different environment. Do they spend more time in or out?

Jacqui said:
Another big difference may be if they are inside or outside. For the most part my tortoises (all species, not just the Leopards), are much friendlier and less shy inside then outside.

Depending upon which animal we are talking about and of course the weather that year, as a rule they start going out in April and come in late Sept/Oct. So just about 50/50 in and out.

I think it is actually a more peaceful type of noise outside (birds, the wind, bugs, little traffic noise...except for the trains ever 15 min. :D). Inside you have doors closing, people walking right next to you, fans and other machines in the house, plus the VCR).

squamata said:

Would you be offering me a hug now? I am soaked with sweat.

I don't think of us as JUST a forum either. I think of us as a family. Some times we laugh, some times we cry, some times we snap at each other, but at the end of the day, we are still family in spite of ourselves at times.

haha sure I ain't squeemish:)

Status
Not open for further replies.