Are Leopards Very Timid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eve walker

5 Year Member
I currently have a Russian, and I am thinking about possibly getting a Leopard. I understand that they have very different needs and will have to be housed separately. I also know that it will get to be quite large. However, I am interested in their personalities. Do they have strong ones? Are they very timid with people? I like my torts to have personality. Thanks!

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
Leopard tortoises can definitely have great personalities. With enough one on one time any species of tortoise will warm up to you. Leopards are one of my favorites because they really are one of the chill tortoise species. Not destructive like sulcatas but they do get quite large and are one of the most beautiful tortoises.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
My leopards were shy compared to my Hermanns when they were smaller. Now about 1.5 pounds each and they are not so shy.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This has been a heated topic in the past. Different people have had different experiences. Most of the regular leopards that I have seen are shy and uninterested in human interaction, especially in comparison to a sulcata or a russian. However, I have seen exceptions to this too. If someone were to tell me they want a tortoise with a lot of "personality", regular leopards would not be high on that list.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Tom said:
This has been a heated topic in the past. Different people have had different experiences. Most of the regular leopards that I have seen are shy and uninterested in human interaction, especially in comparison to a sulcata or a russian. However, I have seen exceptions to this too. If someone were to tell me they want a tortoise with a lot of "personality", regular leopards would not be high on that list.

I can agree with you on some level about most of the babcocki leopards that I have seen just arent that active or personable but I think that all has to do with care. I remember growing up I would always see baby leopards just sitting in corners and the sulcatas running around at reptile shows. I think because everyone and their moms were raising babies so dry it really took a tole on the leopards and not as much on sulcatas. I think that now people are starting to raise them way better than they used to you are seeing a dramatic change in how their personalities are. In my opinion leopards have a top notch personality just not the destructive nature like the sulcata.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have not noticed a difference between the "norm" now or 20 years ago. I have noticed a whole lot of hybrids and often when I see a personable "babcocki" there is reason to suspect that there is some pardalis pardalis in the lines... Just speculation and observation on my part, not provable.

I think we are on the same page. Yes there are some personable leopards out there, but I think the percentage of personable leopards is lower than the percentage for personable hermanni, or sulcata, or russians, or redfoots, or South African Leopards etc...

It also occurred to me that the OP is comparing this prospective new species to a russian. Just like your reference to the sulcatas and leopards at the shows, I think in general that a typical leopard compared to a typical russian will usually be a bit more reserved.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Eweezyfosheezy said:
I can agree with you on some level about most of the babcocki leopards that I have seen just arent that active or personable but I think that all has to do with care. I remember growing up I would always see baby leopards just sitting in corners and the sulcatas running around at reptile shows. I think because everyone and their moms were raising babies so dry it really took a tole on the leopards and not as much on sulcatas. I think that now people are starting to raise them way better than they used to you are seeing a dramatic change in how their personalities are. In my opinion leopards have a top notch personality just not the destructive nature like the sulcata.

I agree with you on this, and I think this can apply to all species. I have several indian stars that came to me very shy and timid, but after some time of good care, I would now consider them more personable than the redfoot and sulcatas I have.

I have a good size group of leopards, and I wouldn't really consider any of them shy, but some are more personable than others.

As Tom said, this has been a topic of some good debates here. For me, what it all boils down to is what you would consider personality in a tortoise. Different behaviors in tortoises are more important to some than they are for others. Like Eweezyfosheezy, I find leopards mellow and more well behaved than sulcatas. I would compare leopards to a mature dog vs a puppy like sulcata.

Vishnu2

5 Year Member
Gran Pulse
I would like to hear Neal's take on this one.

Speaking of.. Took the post right out of my mouth. Can you delete? Lol.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I really think those other species adapt better to crappy conditions. I have never been to anywhere where any of those species originate from so I cant speak from direct experience but maybe there natural environments throughout the year are more extreme than the babcocki and have to have that type of adaptability to survive. Now I am not saying as long as conditions are perfect every single one is going to have a great personality but thats with every type of tortoise.

Its near impossible to tell what exactly is pure these days unless you got them imported specifically from a certain region or get them from a very reputable breeder as I know you know that. But from my direct experience GPP and GPB are not too different as hatchlings. Other than the fact that the GPP are growing faster. I would say out of all my GPP 3 are shy and out of all my GPB I would say maybe 5 are shy and I have far more GPB than GPP.

I'm a sulcata guy at heart because that is what originally got me into tortoises and thats the tortoise I would recommend to anyone as a first tortoise as long as space is not an issue. But I still think GPB have just as much personality but just not the recklessness of the sulcata.

I also have an adult leopard who was just one of the shyest tortoises I have ever seen and was raised the dry way and probably with no interaction with humans that much. But after two years of owning this fella he is starting to show his true colors and actually runs up to me when Im just sitting out there with my torts and he just starts eating grass next to me. Two years ago this guy wouldnt come out of his shell for at least an hour if he spotted me and slowly but surely he has warmed up to me. I rarely feed my adults as well so this is almost strictly just interaction with him.

Melly-n-shorty

5 Year Member
Phoenix Arizona
i think it depends on how you define personality... one of my leopards is very shy and is just now starting to let me pet his head but i would not say he lacks personality... he actually has a lot of personality if you take the time to watch him from a short distance. my smaller one is a bit of a clown and is very personable but i wouldn't say she has more personality then my shy one... my shy one (shorty) is only a year old but already reminds me of a grumpy old man. he is very funny to watch and is starting to warm up now that he his getting older. but if you define personality by human interaction then you might consider a leopard to have less of a personality then say a red foot or a sulcata. i think leopards just require a little more effort, but i also think that is what makes them so special.
I love watching shorty chase rolly-pollies every morning from a distance. he acts like a clown when he is chasing them (and thinks i am not looking). its almost like he is mad at them for being in his pen. his eyes will bug out and he will charge after them. it reminds me of a old man chasing the neighborhood kids out of his yard. some times he will be in such a hurry get those rolly-pollies that his back feet will go to fast for his front feet and he will face plant!he doesn't show so much personality when i try to interact with him.. i think mostly just wants me to go away... but there is no question that he is an individual with his own... grumpy... personality.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
I have three adults. One is super outging and curious. He'll come up to people and see what you are doing. One is in-between, kind of shy but will still come to you in case you have food. The last one will run like she's on fire if a stranger walks into the yard. She's fine with me (the food God) but hates strangers.

So from my experience, it could go either way. However, I do think if you spend a lot of time with them growing up they will be much more outgoing. The one I have that is scared was a rescue and had very little interactions with people before I got her.

*Barracuda_50*

5 Year Member
Harrietta, MI
Greg T said:
I have three adults. One is super outging and curious. He'll come up to people and see what you are doing. One is in-between, kind of shy but will still come to you in case you have food. The last one will run like she's on fire if a stranger walks into the yard. She's fine with me (the food God) but hates strangers.

So from my experience, it could go either way. However, I do think if you spend a lot of time with them growing up they will be much more outgoing.

Our 3 babies are like that, one very shy which would be Tiny Tikii whom hides the min he sees anything comming close to him, one in the middle that would be Javari is mostly outgoing will come up to you once in awhile but dont like strangers is very intune with grazing and getting sunshine, then theres Kitwana very out going and will let you pet/rub his/her head and under the neck and will come right up to you and preffers to zooooooooom around while outdoors as if to say FREEDOM WEEEEEEEEEEEE.:p They deffinately all have diffrent personalities, likes, dislikes and ect ect ect.....:)

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
I also think it's hard to 'judge' them. My leopard came from someone who treated it like a dog for the 1st 7 yrs. (Let it loose in house, no cage, lights etc.)She came to me never letting me see her head for about 2 yrs. Would hiss and hide. She will now at least continue to eat when I am present. But that's just her.
My RF on the other hand will practically run to me, (Yeah I know it's for food, but I like to think....)And his beginning was who knows what for the 1st 15 yrs, but he did come to me badly pyramided. They are just different....

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
My Leo yearling is very friendly. She will walk right up on your hand and loves her little neck rubbed. I think just like some people are friendly and some are not the same goes for animals. It could be the way we or our animals are raised.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Eweezyfosheezy said:
Leopard tortoises can definitely have great personalities. With enough one on one time any species of tortoise will warm up to you. Leopards are one of my favorites because they really are one of the chill tortoise species. Not destructive like sulcatas but they do get quite large and are one of the most beautiful tortoises.

DITTO. I love everything about them. Mine will pop his head out of his shell with the speed of tort lightning, the second I pick him up. He bobs his head at me and I kiss him several times on his head/face. When I stop, he sticks his head out further. They are beautiful and incase you didn't know, their are two sub species of them. One gets bigger then the other. The Babcocki is the smaller of the two. The other is a Pardeli (spelling might be wrong) I have a Babcocki.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
wellington said:
Eweezyfosheezy said:

DITTO. I love everything about them. Mine will pop his head out of his shell with the speed of tort lightning, the second I pick him up. He bobs his head at me and I kiss him several times on his head/face. When I stop, he sticks his head out further. They are beautiful and incase you didn't know, their are two sub species of them. One gets bigger then the other. The Babcocki is the smaller of the two. The other is a Pardeli (spelling might be wrong) I have a Babcocki.

OMGosh u kiss ur tort, LOL. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So Eve, there are quite a few stories related here... Do you feel like you have gotten your answer?

The answer seems to be: Yes, they are very timid. AND; No, they are not very timid... :)

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
Love my guy he is not so shy. Follows me around haha. I have tried kissing mine Like Wellington haha don't know his reaction to that lol.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Tom said:
So Eve, there are quite a few stories related here... Do you feel like you have gotten your answer?

The answer seems to be: Yes, they are very timid. AND; No, they are not very timid... :)

I think she had more of an idea how their personalities were before we posted anything lol. ;)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I have heard that for the most part leopards are shy, mine are def. shy, but they are young, so as they age it may change.

Status
Not open for further replies.