Are my 10 month old reds showing pyramiding.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Hi all

I'm extremely paranoid about pyramiding, my misses says I'm obsessed. These are our three 10 month old redfoots. Are they already showing signs of pyramiding. I can't believe how the photos enhance my dreaded thoughts. 1 of them has naturally a high domed shell, she also has an extra scute and doesn't seem to be growing as quick as the other 2.

IMG_1877.JPG IMG_1878.JPG IMG_1880.JPG IMG_1881.JPG IMG_1882.JPG IMG_1883.JPG IMG_1884.JPG IMG_1885.JPG IMG_1886.JPG IMG_1887.JPG IMG_1889.JPG IMG_1890.JPG IMG_1891.JPG IMG_1892.JPG IMG_1894.JPG IMG_1895.JPG IMG_1896.JPG IMG_1897.JPG IMG_1898.JPG IMG_1899.JPG IMG_1901.JPG IMG_1902.JPG IMG_1903.JPG

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Yes. a little bit. Are you keeping them on the fake grass? You need to throw it away and also, no corn. Too much sugar. Also, some high quality cat or dog food could replace the pinkies. Far less gruesome. And protein should only make up about 10% of their diet. inside your terrarium place a couple inches of orchid bark or something like it and then use a few inches of soil on top of that. You can moisten the bark by pouring some water into the corners. The bark will absorb it and the top layer of soil will remain dry. Just what you need. Humidity without being wet all the time. Read everything here that you can. The helpful people here will help you untill you've got everything just right. Welcome!

Turtlepete

South Florida
How high is the humidity in their enclosure? And what is the substrate? Are they able to burrow into moist substrate with ease?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't see any pyramiding. I would not be too paranoid about it either. Enjoy your tortoises and make sure they are healthy.

I'll leave the care tips to those that keep this species.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Yes. a little bit. Are you keeping them on the fake grass? You need to throw it away and also, no corn. Too much sugar. Also, some high quality cat or dog food could replace the pinkies. Far less gruesome. And protein should only make up about 10% of their diet. inside your terrarium place a couple inches of orchid bark or something like it and then use a few inches of soil on top of that. You can moisten the bark by pouring some water into the corners. The bark will absorb it and the top layer of soil will remain dry. Just what you need. Humidity without being wet all the time. Read everything here that you can. The helpful people here will help you untill you've got everything just right. Welcome!
Hi zeropilot.

The fake grass is only for taking photos on so they don't get cold on the floor. There terrarium is a constant 80 to 100% humidity. Its a closed enclosure so humidity and temps are not a problem at all. They have 1 pinky each every 7 to 10 days and sweetcorn once a moInth. The one thing I am guilty of I think is not enough calcium powder. When I put it on there food they wont eat it, no matter how small the amount they simply refuse it. So i've been mixing it in with banana twice a week, They also have access to cuttlefish, Although I would say they have not touched that for about a month now. See below, sorry about rubbish photo

photo 3 (5).JPG

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
How high is the humidity in their enclosure? And what is the substrate? Are they able to burrow into moist substrate with ease?
Hi there.
I've got coco then cyprus mulch and sphagnum moss. They bury in every night. I figured I got my set up so finally tuned because its not soaking wet through but very humid, 80 to 100%. When they come out of there log hide in the morning for feed time there shells are wet but plastron is just moist, not wet through. :(

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
If the temps are too high can this force there growth rate and in turn produce pyramiding.
I have 33c down to 27c

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If the temps are too high can this force there growth rate and in turn produce pyramiding.
I have 33c down to 27c

This is not the case, contrary to popular opinion, with sulcatas, leopards, russians, CDTs or stars, but I have never tried it with RFs, so maybe you are correct. It just doesn't seem likely to me.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I really don't think growth creates pyramiding. :D
I think they look great. Maybe a tiny TINY bit, but I wish all redfoots were so smooth! You're doing a great job. At 80-1000%, you won't even notice.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
I have 33c down to 27c

One of my reds is almost 2 years old and already almost 8" scl. My temps are not on the high side (78-82F) during winter but that *is* a fast growth rate for a red from what I've gathered on the forum. This near 8" redfoot is my smoothest redfoot, so I don't believe accelerated growth (only) can cause pyramidal growth.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
One of my reds is almost 2 years old and already almost 8" scl. My temps are not on the high side (78-82F) during winter but that *is* a fast growth rate for a red from what I've gathered on the forum. This near 8" redfoot is my smoothest redfoot, so I don't believe accelerated growth (only) can cause pyramidal growth.
Hi Alma

Do you have a photo of your smoothest tort we can see please.

Thanks

Craig

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
20150202_132524.jpg 20150202_091426.jpg

They're all pretty smooth. Loki is just slightly more impressive because of the quick AND even growth.

Turtlepete

South Florida
I have 33c down to 27c

33c (91f) is too warm. However, this will have no affect on growth rate. On the contrary, I would expect temps that high to make tortoises inactive, as they do during the hot summer months here, eat less, and grow slower. 27-29C would be good.

As far as moisture, I don't worry about red's getting wet. I raise hatchlings in very moist spaghnum moss, and yearlings are still on moist cypress mulch and peat moss. I like them to be able to burrow and be completely surrounded by moist bedding. They've all grown incredibly smooth like this.

I don't really see anything from the pictures that is any worry. Not anything that will ever cause them an issue.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
View attachment 117014 View attachment 117015

They're all pretty smooth. Loki is just slightly more impressive because of the quick AND even growth.
Thank you for showing me your torts.
You have put my mind at rest. I don't think mine are pyramiding, The photos of mine are very close up and show all the natural growth lines in detail.
What do you do for calcium.

Thanks

Craig

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
33c (91f) is too warm. However, this will have no affect on growth rate. On the contrary, I would expect temps that high to make tortoises inactive, as they do during the hot summer months here, eat less, and grow slower. 27-29C would be good.

As far as moisture, I don't worry about red's getting wet. I raise hatchlings in very moist spaghnum moss, and yearlings are still on moist cypress mulch and peat moss. I like them to be able to burrow and be completely surrounded by moist bedding. They've all grown incredibly smooth like this.

I don't really see anything from the pictures that is any worry. Not anything that will ever cause them an issue.
Ok Thank you. I will reduce the heated end down to 29deg. I think i'm doing everything else right. I was told the ideal temp for juvenile redfoots was 30deg and to give them an environment 3deg either side of the ideal 30deg so they can get there own thermal temps just right. Mine are mostly in the cooler end but do sometimes venture into the warmer end. When you say lively, how lively. Mine come in and out of there hides in a morning, till lets say midday. Then they seem to rest. They are able to bury right in. Funny actually, sometimes you can only see there heads.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Thank you for showing me your torts.
You have put my mind at rest. I don't think mine are pyramiding, The photos of mine are very close up and show all the natural growth lines in detail.
What do you do for calcium.

Thanks

Craig

I go easy on extra supplements. They get a crushed multivitamins/calcium mix once a week (light amount) mixed into their mazuri meatballs. Otherwise, there are 3 cuttlebone in their enclosure at all times.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I go easy on extra supplements. They get a crushed multivitamins/calcium mix once a week (light amount) mixed into their mazuri meatballs. Otherwise, there are 3 cuttlebone in their enclosure at all times.
I'm also trying to bring them up with natural foods, and no additives. I give them a small amount of calcium D3 twice a week. Everything else is a natural source of food. May live to regret it, we'll see in time.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Something else I have often wondered about. I give all my torts a good variety of food. Some of which comes directly out of the fridge. Doesn't the cold food do something to there system, in the wild it wouldn't be so cold. Or am I doing wrong giving them food directly from the fridge.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
For the first year, I sprinkled calcium+d3 in tiny amounts twice a week as well. Now that they eat a lot more, I've cut it back down to every 7-10 days. And, I attempt to provide them with higher calcium foods and lots of variety. I believe that as long as everything's in moderation, you reduce the amount of issues along the way.

I don't worry too much about refrigerated foods. Then again, their food slab is always warm and they don't automatically come out to eat right away (unless it's fruit or protein day). By the time they eat, the food's as warm as the ambient temp.