Are my leopards nails normal?

Theo2002

Location (City and/or State)
Hastings
I’ve noticed my tortoises nails are all black on her back legs so I have been hesitant to trim them. However the front nails are short and normal looking. Is this okay?CEC5E4B7-DC20-4377-954A-52DBABC6D735.jpeg

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
What a beauty. The nails look normal to me, but I don't have Leopards any more. Some one else may think differently.

Theo2002

Hastings
What a beauty. The nails look normal to me, but I don't have Leopards any more. Some one else may think differently.
Haha Indeed :) I’m also worried that she might be ill or something as she spends all day under her basking light, sometimes asleep during the day. She also sleeps there at night, my temperatures seem to be all good so I’m unsure why. Do you know? :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Females grow longer back nails in order to dig their nests and scoop out the dirt and rocks. No need to trim.

If your tortoise is spending a lot of time under the basking lamps, this means your ambient is too cool. I like ambient for this species to be at least 32-33 during the day. Basking should be set at 95-100 directly under the bulb at tortoise shell height, but its hard to do a basking area for a larger tortoise with a high dome like this. It ends up being too hot at the very top, but not hot enough to warm the bottom and their core.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Haha Indeed :) I’m also worried that she might be ill or something as she spends all day under her basking light, sometimes asleep during the day. She also sleeps there at night, my temperatures seem to be all good so I’m unsure why. Do you know? :)
One would think that if the tortoise spends all day AND all night under its basking light that it is not warm enough. What are the temperatures that you say "seem to be all good"? Without knowing that information, it is fairly hard to make any suggestions or recommendations.

Theo2002

Hastings
Females grow longer back nails in order to dig their nests and scoop out the dirt and rocks. No need to trim.

If your tortoise is spending a lot of time under the basking lamps, this means your ambient is too cool. I like ambient for this species to be at least 32-33 during the day. Basking should be set at 95-100 directly under the bulb at tortoise shell height, but its hard to do a basking area for a larger tortoise with a high dome like this. It ends up being too hot at the very top, but not hot enough to warm the bottom and their core.
Okay thankyou, that’s good to know. My ambient is more like 27-28 so I’ll change that and see :)

Theo2002

Hastings
One would think that if the tortoise spends all day AND all night under its basking light that it is not warm enough. What are the temperatures that you say "seem to be all good"? Without knowing that information, it is fairly hard to make any suggestions or recommendations.
Perhaps I’m wrong, my temperatures are:
22 cool end
27-28 warm
32 basking

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Perhaps I’m wrong, my temperatures are:
22 cool end
27-28 warm
32 basking
Much much too cool. Those temps would be okay for a temperate tortoise like a Greek or Horsfield, but much to cool for a tropical African tortoise. The temp should not dip below 27 anywhere in the enclosure day or night. 32 is a good ambient temp for day time, but basking temp needs to be closer to 36 at tortoise shell height directly under the basking lamp.

Theo2002

Hastings
Much much too cool. Those temps would be okay for a temperate tortoise like a Greek or Horsfield, but much to cool for a tropical African tortoise. The temp should not dip below 27 anywhere in the enclosure day or night. 32 is a good ambient temp for day time, but basking temp needs to be closer to 36 at tortoise shell height directly under the basking lamp.
Okay that would explain it then, thanks for the help, much appreciated:)

pixelPro

Lynnwood
Can someone tell me if mine's too long? I'm not sure what to look for. Looking online it says like if it starts to look like it's curling in, but I'm not sure what that looks like.
PXL_20201120_042759584.jpgPXL_20201120_043022639.jpgPXL_20201120_043032865.jpgPXL_20201120_043041155.jpg