are sulcatas smart?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferruccio

5 Year Member
Hi! i was just wondering if sulcatas know when they've been "transfered." I just let my 3 month old sulcata out in the sun for a bit, he started walking and exploring (so cute). But I had to get him back in again, meaning I put him back in his crate (he's been with me for almost 3 days, I'm still building his house). Does he get sad this way? Does he realize that his room is much smaller than where he's been? I notice he's always walking along the periphery of his crate :(

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I would not call them smart. However, they are definitely aware of their surroundings.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Ferruccio said:
Do they know who their owner is?

Sometimes. It depends on the individual tortoise and their routine. In the summer time when all the weeds are dried up and there is nothing to eat, I have several tortoises that come running when they see me. I have a couple who come running when they see anybody in or near their pen. I have lots of other people feed them, so I would expect them to associate food with all people, not just me. However, during winter when the rains come and there is green grass and weeds everywhere, these same tortoises could care less about me or anyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.