Are These safe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pontefract West Yorkshire U,K
I scattered a Tortoise weed mix in Shelbys outdoor pen and these weeds have grow but i do not know what these are and need your help.

Is this Mallow? Its going mad in the pen

aa874m.jpg

23vykpg.jpg

nytwnc.jpg

2vkytc2.jpg

jhwshj.jpg

And the little one with White flowers. Is it Shepard's Purse?

14mghnc.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No to both questions. Mallow looks a bit like geranium and shepherd's purse looks like dandelion with grey leaves.

I don't know what that first one is, but it does look yummy!

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
No to both questions. Mallow looks a bit like geranium and shepherd's purse looks like dandelion with grey leaves.

I don't know what that first one is, but it does look yummy!

Shelby thinks so too i had to take him out because he would not stay away he too a bite and as gone a little quiet so i thought i better check its not the weeds i took it for granted it came from the weed mix i got

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
I have just checked the leafs on the weed with the tiny white flowers they a hands of round clover like leafs.

Ok i have been looking i think the white flowered is Bittercress but still can not find the large one : (

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
Any help with the big weeds would be great Shelby is attracted to it but i am scared to let him at it in case its bad, but do not want to pull it if its safe as i do not have a large range of weeds.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
send thses pictures to the place you bought the seeds from.. they should be able to tell you what they are. :)

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Is it possible the seed got in your enclosure some other way? Not in the mix? Just wondering because the plant looks like cockleburr. It's big, with lush, rank growth, leaf shape looks right. It's supposed to be edible by people, so would be OK for your tort, but still maybe not what you want growing in the enclosure, going to seed.

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
yer the enclosure is open so seed could get through the mesh it is going mad i think i am going to pull some of it out tomorrow or it is going to take over the area.
Thanks Edna

I just looked that plant u it native to America and Asia I live in the UK so i do not think its that but thanks for the help

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
The one with the white flowers looks like a weed I have.When the seed pods dry they will jump, fly , shoot off the plant when it is disturbed, so if you don't want many more next year pull them before the seeds dry. (that is if it is the same plant) I can't see the base of your plant but the ones I have, the leaves lay close to the ground with the flower stem growing to about a foot tall. I have no idea what it is or where mine came from.Len

Status
Not open for further replies.