Are these shell rot?

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New England
I do not see anything to be worried about. If you are referring to the pink lines on the bottom of his shell, they are simply growth lines.

Fredkas

5 Year Member
No. Not the pink line. I will post pics that circle what i suspected. But please refer to first post for better quality pic.
See the change of the shell. Become white and rough bubbly. Like it is getting burned.
Capture+_2017-05-30-07-12-33.png

The plastron brown mark..
Capture+_2017-05-30-07-13-08.png

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
I did not notice those. I do not really know what that is on the plastron, but I do not think it is shell rot. Perhaps the part on the edges of the carapace is growth from when he was younger that is dying and being replaced with new growth?

Shell rot in Sulcatas is extremely rare. I have never actually seen it occur.

Last edited:

Fredkas

5 Year Member
But my humidity is extreme. 90+% entire enclosure o_O.
Lets see other opinions.
I am lowering the humidity to 80ish now while waiting for other answers.
Thank a lot taylor ;).

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I have seen lots of images of shell rot but none looked like your pictures. Shell rot is fungal infection of the plastron from torts sitting on wet substrate. It's pretty common in RF's and it looks like irregularly shaped pits in plastron of various depths, rough surfaces, usually lighter color than surrounding plastron. Your tort's plastron looks very nice and healthy to me. As for the carapace the whitish areas, I can't really see anything on your picture other then just lighter shell color there, but if you think there is a possibility of a burn, please investigate the situation. Does your tort spend lot of time next to the heater? If she does to the point of getting burnt in order to feel warm then the overall enclosure temp is too low possibly due to heat loss (open enclosure?) I don't know, just guessing here, trying to give you some ideas so look into those things or see if you can get a good light and closer zoomed pictures and I'm sure we'll figure it out:)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Top right looks like an old puncture wound of some sort - bitten by a cat or dog when small?

The other three just look like the normal shell lines that are dark and/or dirty.

I don't see anything that particularly bothers me.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Never heard of a sulcata getting shell rot. Shell rot doesn't look like that.
Give us a run down of your enclosure temps, substrate, etc.
I would lower the humidity to 80 only because it's not needed to be higher.
Just keep an eye on those places you have concern about but. If you think they are getting worse, you can use some antifungal cream on them. I don't think they are anything to worry about though.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I've dealt with a lot of shell fungus.
You have some stains and local discoloration issues. And nothing to be worried about.
As @wellington stated, you can put a dab of athletes foot cream on the spots. It quickly kills fungus, but also does NO HARM if there is no fungus there. So it might be a good peace of mind thing.

Fredkas

5 Year Member
I have seen lots of images of shell rot but none looked like your pictures. Shell rot is fungal infection of the plastron from torts sitting on wet substrate. It's pretty common in RF's and it looks like irregularly shaped pits in plastron of various depths, rough surfaces, usually lighter color than surrounding plastron. Your tort's plastron looks very nice and healthy to me. As for the carapace the whitish areas, I can't really see anything on your picture other then just lighter shell color there, but if you think there is a possibility of a burn, please investigate the situation. Does your tort spend lot of time next to the heater? If she does to the point of getting burnt in order to feel warm then the overall enclosure temp is too low possibly due to heat loss (open enclosure?) I don't know, just guessing here, trying to give you some ideas so look into those things or see if you can get a good light and closer zoomed pictures and I'm sure we'll figure it out:)
Yes my sulcata sit on humid substrate (coco coir). He likes to hang out near the basking light, near but not under. I think if there is something to do with the light bulb (too hot), the upper level carapace should getting worse than the below one right? I have closed enclosure. Weird huh? I think i will get you a better picture soon.

Top right looks like an old puncture wound of some sort - bitten by a cat or dog when small?

The other three just look like the normal shell lines that are dark and/or dirty.

I don't see anything that particularly bothers me.
I don't have cat or dog, and my sulcata never saw cat or dog in his entire life :p
Hmm.. seems a lot of people feel nothing wrong.

@HermanniChris

I don't think it's shell rot but I don't know what it is
Tiffy calling you @HermanniChris , could you give some opinion?

Never heard of a sulcata getting shell rot. Shell rot doesn't look like that.
Give us a run down of your enclosure temps, substrate, etc.
I would lower the humidity to 80 only because it's not needed to be higher.
Just keep an eye on those places you have concern about but. If you think they are getting worse, you can use some antifungal cream on them. I don't think they are anything to worry about though.
Enclosure temps:
Bask spot 97F
Warm side 89F
Cool side 85F
Night temp 84F
Substrate coco coir at 93% humidity.
Yes i think i need to lower it and keep the coir light brown (dry) at the top rather than dark brown (wet)?
Yes. It concerns me several weeks or one week ago, i can't really recall it, i think it getting worse.

I've dealt with a lot of shell fungus.
You have some stains and local discoloration issues. And nothing to be worried about.
As @wellington stated, you can put a dab of athletes foot cream on the spots. It quickly kills fungus, but also does NO HARM if there is no fungus there. So it might be a good peace of mind thing.
I am so glad no one approve this as shell rot.

So, i remember i took his picture for plastron length at 14 May. It seems different, but yes the mark already there but getting worsen. Please do give comment what all of you think. Pic below, for your convenience, i re attach above pic too. As the carapace pic, i think i need to get a better pic.
14 May:
20170514_185332.jpg

Today, 30 May:
capture-_2017-05-30-07-13-08-png.208912

If this is fungus, is this the normal fungus growth within 2 weeks?

Link

East-Central Oklahoma
It looks like i have nothing to worry about. Thanks to all ;)
Thanks for posting this, I am seeing similar issues on the carapace of my young sulcata (just over month old). I will get some pics and post for review also. How old is yours? I also was keeping my humidity in the 90s and substrate really moist. I am drying out the substrate and lowering my humidity now. I will simply add in a water container to keep humidity in the 80s instead of saturating my substrate so much. I will also treat mine with fungus treatment now seeing as how it doesn't hurt anyways. Temps run from 84 in cool side to 101 in basking area.

Fredkas

5 Year Member
Thanks for posting this, I am seeing similar issues on the carapace of my young sulcata (just over month old). I will get some pics and post for review also. How old is yours? I also was keeping my humidity in the 90s and substrate really moist. I am drying out the substrate and lowering my humidity now. I will simply add in a water container to keep humidity in the 80s instead of saturating my substrate so much. I will also treat mine with fungus treatment now seeing as how it doesn't hurt anyways. Temps run from 84 in cool side to 101 in basking area.
Please just post your pics here. To make comparison

Link

East-Central Oklahoma
Please just post your pics here. To make comparison
Here are some pics of Casper- FYI still eating really well, active, has two hours in outdoor enclosure each day, temps from 82-101 in inside enclosure on thermostat007.JPG 008.JPG 012.JPG 011.JPG 013.JPG 014.JPG 006.JPG , humidity was running from 86-94, water in plant saucer in enclosure, baths twice a day and always has good bowl movement in bath, using tortoise mix grown from seeds along with store bought mixes for feedings, cuddle bone actively being gnawed on, add calcium powder to food once a week, uvb bar light and heat emitters in enclosure, coco substrate...

Wow-the resolution of those pics is horrible..I will retake with a better camera my concern is the large crevice looking dark area on left bottom and opposite side has almost a blistered look... No issues on top noticed at all

I did clean the indoor enclosure and dry out the substrate, added water container to keep humidity up without saturating substrate. Running at 81% this morning with ambient temp in the 85 range

Last edited:

Fredkas

5 Year Member
@Pearly , i can't get any better picture of the bottom carapace that i was concerned of. But i think i let it be and see whether it is worsen. Looks better now after i am applying evco.

@Link , yes, it can really see the your tortoise plastron clearly. You need to give better pics. I am curious though. And waiting for your pics