Are these white lines the start of growth??

Nisi

Location (City and/or State)
New York
Really trying hard not to get excited!!! Are these

Gymtimpro

Pleasant Gap Pa
They could be good for you make sure u keep it full of all the proper nutrients and dont slack off during growing years :) btw check out my conversation from the other day im looking for feedback

Nisi

New York
They could be good for you make sure u keep it full of all the proper nutrients and dont slack off during growing years :) btw check out my conversation from the other day im looking for feedback

What conversation are you talking about? So I know what to look for.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby

Welcome to the forum, Why don't you check into the introduction section and tell us about yourself.
Really trying hard not to get excited!!! Are these

from what I can see, it does look like it!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
To me it looks like the tortoise's new growth is way dry, Denise. New growth on a leopard baby seldom comes in white like that. I'll bet if you rub some coconut oil in there then polish it all off with a soft cloth, the white will disappear.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Like I said in our pm, I'm with Yvonne with the dryness but I do see a few spots that look like new growth.

Nisi

New York
I shall pick up some coconut oil on my way home.. I can't use olive oil can I? Bubble is so busted but I don't want a dry tort.. thanks guys

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Olive oil would be ok. Just be sure to polish it all off so he's not left with a sticky shell.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
It looks like new growth. Show a plastron picture if you can. It is usually easier to see the first signs of new growth on the plastron.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I don't know if leopards grow different to redfoots(I wouldn't have thought so). But if I don't see white lines coming as they grow then I get worried. All my smooth growing babies and juveniles show white lines as they grow.
I see it as proof the new keratin filled in the crevice between the scutes as they grew. if I don't see the white lines then I think the new keratin hasn't quite filled the crevice correct and smooth. Sometimes I can only see the white lines when they are wet, this I think is when they are growing slow, if they grow fast it's an obvious white line because the new keratin filled a wider crevice. As the new white keratin hardens off it becomes dark and the process starts again. Well that's what I'm thinking with the redfoots anyway, and I've noticed it with the hingebacks too.
My reds and hingebacks are not kept dry.

Nisi

New York
I don't know if leopards grow different to redfoots(I wouldn't have thought so). But if I don't see white lines coming as they grow then I get worried. All my smooth growing babies and juveniles show white lines as they grow.
I see it as proof the new keratin filled in the crevice between the scutes as they grew. if I don't see the white lines then I think the new keratin hasn't quite filled the crevice correct and smooth. Sometimes I can only see the white lines when they are wet, this I think is when they are growing slow, if they grow fast it's an obvious white line because the new keratin filled a wider crevice. As the new white keratin hardens off it becomes dark and the process starts again. Well that's what I'm thinking with the redfoots anyway, and I've noticed it with the hingebacks too.
My reds and hingebacks are not kept dry.
Thank you for the information.. I just wish he would grow already passed 37g!!!

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I just read some of your other thread. This guy was 33g on 8th July. What he way now?