Are you experienced?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
We learn new things about turtles and tortoises every day, so I really doubt there is a turtle "expert." But 'experienced' to me means someone who has kept or worked with a specie for enough time to have gained a good knowledge about what it takes to keep the turtle alive and healthy. I have absolutely no knowledge about the Mediterranean or Testudos, so I hardly ever answer posts questioning those species. But I have quite a bit of experience with the Manouria, having kept and successfully bred them over the past 18 or so years. However, my "experience" with this species has to do with keeping them in the Central Valley of California. This is way different than someone who wants info on keeping them, for instance, in Nebraska.

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I think there are two categories, Type One, I learned every thing about tortoises from reading every thing about them and am only a keeper of a few years. Type Two, I have been a keeper for decades and seen first hand what is good and bad for tortoises. Type two has experience, type one has information to share.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree with motero. Although I dont know if I would call the type one experienced, as much as knowledgeable.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I don't know. I kind of think experience can come from others experiences. Kind of like learning from others mistakes. Keeping a tortoise doesn't necessarily give you experience. I had my 1st one for 4 years and learned nothing. He belonged to my son, and when he got sick, i started learning. I have gained more experience in the last 2 years then the previous 4.

Yourlocalpoet

5 Year Member
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
We learn new things about turtles and tortoises every day, so I really doubt there is a turtle "expert." But 'experienced' to me means someone who has kept or worked with a specie for enough time to have gained a good knowledge about what it takes to keep the turtle alive and healthy. I have absolutely no knowledge about the Mediterranean or Testudos, so I hardly ever answer posts questioning those species. But I have quite a bit of experience with the Manouria, having kept and successfully bred them over the past 18 or so years. However, my "experience" with this species has to do with keeping them in the Central Valley of California. This is way different than someone who wants info on keeping them, for instance, in Nebraska.

Thanks Yvonne. I'm particularly interested in this aspect of it. Surely this is different for everyone? How long is long enough, 5 years, 10 years, 20 years?

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Hmm why can't it be a combination of both knowledge and time? Some of the more experienced keepers here have had tortoises for decades and to no fault of themselves or anyone, have taken care of these tortoises in the improper way due to the lack of knowledge presented back then. So they essentially had to go through a learning curve and it took time, as well as doing things improperly for years before they corrected it. However now that there is updated information for all of us, we might not raise/make those mistakes for years and could potentially miss that extensive learning curve. We instead can focus on raising them with proper care because of the present knowledge without having to make so many mistakes for years. Hope that made some sense

— Gus

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
cumbria england
I agree with motero. Although I dont know if I would call the type one experienced, as much as knowledgeable.

i'd agree. i think if some one learns a subject by reading watching others ect then that would make them knowledgeable. and those who are experienced have the knowledge and put that knowledge in to practice enough to be competent in doing so.

Yourlocalpoet

5 Year Member
Hmm why can't it be a combination of both knowledge and time? Some of the more experienced keepers here have had tortoises for decades and to no fault of themselves or anyone, have taken care of these tortoises in the improper way due to the lack of knowledge presented back then. So they essentially had to go through a learning curve and it took time, as well as doing things improperly for years before they corrected it. However now that there is updated information for all of us, we might not raise/make those mistakes for years and could potentially miss that extensive learning curve. We instead can focus on raising them with proper care because of the present knowledge without having to make so many mistakes for years. Hope that made some sense

— Gus

I agree, Gus. But, you said in your reply, 'some of the more experienced keepers'
What does that mean? And how do you decide who you consider experienced?

If someone raises only one tortoise for a decade, (like myself) with no problems and that tortoise is healthy does that make them experienced, or does the 'experienced keeper' title only come with decades of different species, dozens of tortoises, breeding, issues, and discoveries?

Sent from my iPhone using Tortoise Forum

Earth Mama

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
I agree, Gus. But, you said in your reply, 'some of the more experienced keepers'

If someone raises only one tortoise for a decade, (like myself) with no problems and that tortoise is healthy does that make them experienced, or does the 'experienced keeper' title only come with decades of different species, dozens of tortoises, breeding, issues, and discoveries?

I believe you are experienced in keeping a healthy tortoise but you may not be experienced in breeding, illness, deformity, etc. Therefore, IMO, qualifying as experienced is completely subjective and can't be definitively defined. It is fun to try though.

Yourlocalpoet

5 Year Member
I believe you are experienced in keeping a healthy tortoise but you may not be experienced in breeding, illness, deformity, etc. Therefore, IMO, qualifying as experienced is completely subjective and can't be definitively defined. It is fun to try though.

Excellent post. I'm interested in everyone's subjective 'criteria' so to speak.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California

What I meant by that was the keepers who have had then for decades. I decide who is experienced by how long they have been raising tortoises and how successful they are at it. How healthy their tortoises appear to look. I mean no disrespect but there are keepers who in my opinion keep tortoises in less then ideal conditions for many years, so time isn't the only factor. It's time combined with knowledge and applied.

Yes I would definitely consider your input on the species of tortoise you have kept for a decade. No I don't believe you have to raise different amount of species to be an experienced keeper. If someone keeps a small group of sulcatas for over a decade in ideal conditions. That to me is an experienced keeper. But of course there are some who are experienced with many tortoises and have seen just about everything. Doesn't mean that they can't always learn something new though.

— Gus

WillTort2

5 Year Member
I feel that having observed the interaction and post between some of the more experienced I've learned whose opinion I give more weight depending upon which subject and which species.

When I reply to a question posed by a new member, I'll often state that "in the opinion of some of the more experienced keepers". By utilizing this language I'm attempting to provide information to the new poster and yet indicate that I've learned much of what I know from reading and discussing that subject on this forum. Often the new poster does not have time to search and read all of the long term posts on that subject. They just want a quick informative bit of advice.

So, if I'm wrong on a bit of advice I submit, just jump in and offer a correction. I view the purpose of this forum to share information and spread the collective knowledge regarding providing a healthy habitat for tortoises and turtles.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
I feel that having observed the interaction and post between some of the more experienced I've learned whose opinion I give more weight depending upon which subject and which species.

When I reply to a question posed by a new member, I'll often state that "in the opinion of some of the more experienced keepers". By utilizing this language I'm attempting to provide information to the new poster and yet indicate that I've learned much of what I know from reading and discussing that subject on this forum. Often the new poster does not have time to search and read all of the long term posts on that subject. They just want a quick informative bit of advice.

So, if I'm wrong on a bit of advice I submit, just jump in and offer a correction. I view the purpose of this forum to share information and spread the collective knowledge regarding providing a healthy habitat for tortoises and turtles.

I agree with you.

— Gus

Turtlepete

South Florida
"Experienced" in what? A single species? If you keep and raise sulcatas or red foots for ten years, your experienced with that species. If you've kept dozens of taxa, semi-aquatics, terrestrials, aquatics, etc.. for 15+ years, your experience base is a lot wider.

To me, an "experienced" member is the difference between a member spouting off information they have absolutely no knowledge base in, and a member sharing information that they themselves have learned with on-hands experience with the topic species. I'm sure you can guess which is "experienced".

None of that is to say that there is absolutely anything wrong with sharing your book knowledge! But it becomes a bit destructive when a member with zero knowledge base tries to argue a point with someone much more experienced in the subject….

And another thing to add….Time does not equal experience. There are those that have kept tortoises for 40 years, doing it all wrong. Thats not experienced. There are also those that have kept turtles and tortoises for 5 years yet have quite a knowledge base through both personal experience and book smarts. You can keep turtles and tortoises for your whole life in unideal conditions, under un-proper care, and have learned absolutely nothing. Hopefully that makes sense.

But I'm pretty sure it's not used as a title as much as it is to deem someone experienced in the particular subject….

yillt

Everyone is an expert at something whether it is how to eat 10 pieces of toast in a minute or keep a massive tortoise alive and healthy. Most of us on the forum can keep a tortoise alive and healthy so most of us are experts.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I am very experienced at over 35 years as a tort keeper. As I have found , however, experience does not make one an expert. I learn as I go and I've learned about as much from the collective here as I've ever picked up on my own in those decades. I am an expert at say: Antique motorcycles. Tortoises though, just a good hobbyist.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I'd think of 'experience' as working with any species, but covering all the spectrums in that species. See, someone might keep RES an nothing else, but they have had 'experience' keeping the animal, breeding, care etc. and are therefore an 'exert' of RES.
If someone kept many species and covered everything about each one, they are an overall experienced keeper.
If we're judging experience based on knowledge, then we might all be experts in what we're knowable in, even if you don't keep it. I'm 'knowledgeable' about keeping blue tongue skinks because I know as much as any expert keeper knows by researching, even though I don not have any. And if I'm going to go there, 'experience(d)' is an opinion, not a definition.