Aspen Bedding Advice?

Wednesday

Hello Everyone!
My Russian tortoise is currently on top soil, but I think it's causing allergy problems for my daughter. I read somewhere that aspen bedding is hypoallergenic and low dust. What is the best cage arrangement and upkeep when using aspen? do you still mist it? Thanks for any and all advice :) Have to keep both of the little ones happy lol

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Aspen is much too dry. They need a dampened substrate.

I prefer fine grade orchid bark for larger russians and coco coir for smaller ones.

Wednesday

Thanks! I bought some coco coir and our torty seems happy with it :) Hopefully it doesn't dry out like the top soil did.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Thanks! I bought some coco coir and our torty seems happy with it :) Hopefully it doesn't dry out like the top soil did.
Don't be afraid to tip some water in and give it a good mix with your hand - not too much as you want moist and not wet - it's more effective than spraying

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

All substrate choices will dry out. You'll need to add water regularly. How much and how often varies with each enclosure.