Assessing Vision - Normal or Poor?

MPRC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
Hello all! I've got a new tortoise, who while he wasn't a technical 'rescue' I also couldn't leave him where he was with poorly informed owners.

I am concerned that he has poor vision, but I am not a tortoise expert yet and I wanted to get some baselines from folks. Here's a rundown of how he has been kept his whole life according to the previous owners.

Hatchling - 2 Years - Raised dry and fed a high animal protein diet. Housed mostly indoors with no UVB lighting.
2 years to 7 Years - Still dry, still no soaks, lives in a 40g breeder tank without hides and wood chip floor. Kept under a 10.0 coil bulb (Just our luck, eh?) Fed lettuces, kale and dry "woodland" tortoise diet (not soaked) Offered calcium and vitamin supplements and allowed some outdoor time in a grassy play pen.
In the last week: Soaks, soaks, soaks! All the nutritionally balanced food he wants and a nice 6x8ft outdoor playpen (The indoor poor weather cage is under construction, I really wasn't prepared for him) and lots of time roaming our 5 acres with me. He's getting head rubs and some minor first aid on some cuts. There are places to dig and hide and just be a tortoise.

Now for my suspicions: When we are out If I get more than about 6 feet away he starts to have what looks like a tortoise panic attack. He looks around back and forth swaying his head and then huffs and puffs and wont move. He extends his neck all the way and sort of sways around. If I talk to him he can hear me and orient himself toward me, but he still wont walk to me. If I get back within 6 feet he will happily run up to me and continue to follow me around. He also seems to only see bright colors and motion within this range - anything dull or stationary he seems to walk into/over. I don't know if this is because he is a tiny tank or if he can't spot things until he's on top of them.

Note: His eyes are clear, though they can be pretty watery. He leaves them open all the time and I don't see any swelling. There may be some redness, I just don't know what is "right" I'm attaching a close up for you.

All in all he is a really sweet boy, I just wanted to know if this is normal or if he's been damaged by a hard life and an evil UVB coil bulb. - I over exposed slightly so you can see the delineation between pupil and iris.

p1294030023-5.jpg

p1294030213-5.jpg

Thanks in advance from myself and Vern!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sounds like he may have some damage from the bulb and/or poor care. It may take some time, but the bulb damage, if it is from that, could correct itself in time. Tortoises are drawn to bright things, red, and white seem to attract a lot of them, including mine. Give him some time, good diet, proper uv and love and all may work itself out. Kuddos to you for jumping in for him, even if you weren't prepared.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Kuddos to you for jumping in for him, even if you weren't prepared.

I'm a sucker for a sob story. I went out looking for a problem tortoise because I finally have the time, space and funds and I have a background as a vet assistant so I figure a broken pet would be a good match. Then I found a very happy healthy yearling and figured that was the end of the story until I got a call about dear old Vern...

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
So far so good. He was a bit cranky yesterday. I think he realized he's no longer living with people who are going to feed him junk food every day. Tough luck, eh?

So do I need to get him a seeing eye dog or should I just continue with solid care? (Really though, if there is anything else I should be doing, speak up!)

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
Welcome to the Forum. I am happy that he will have a good home now with proper care, etc. I hope his vision improves.