At a cross roads, and I can't make up my mind!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNiceGuy

5 Year Member
Ok, so here's the rundown, I ask that u bear with me as I have so much tortoise info running through my head I feel like it's gonna explode and feel it's getting all jumbled lol..

I have the itching for a new reptile, I was going to get a snake but think iv decided I would rather have something alittle more interactive like a tortoise as even my turtle iSnt very interactive unless I have food. I have researched and think I have it narrowed down to 3 tortoises, a red toed, a Russian, or a Burmese star. I have it narrowed down to these due to size and personatliy iv read about so far.

I'm hopeingnif I tell u alittle about what I'm looking for you guys can answer a few questions an help me out and many give me another idea of you have one. I live in pennsylvaina where our winters are cold and dry and our summers are hot and humid.. I don't know of this would effect a Russian to bad or not. I'm looking for a tortoise who can live 7 many 8 months out of the year in an enclosure I can build I figure around 8x3x2 or slightly bigger should I need it to be. Now my next thing I'm looking for a medium sized tort hopefully around 12" so I don't loose him if I let him free roam. Now my last questionnof the moment is I want to setup a 50 gal rubbermaid tote for a hatchling/small tort I get is that going to be to big if I put plenty of plants for him to hide? And about how long should that last? Building a table would only take a few days but still abrubbermaid would be easier to start.

Also do these guys require the UVB/mvb/chb or am I confusing them with other turtles.

I appreciate your time and input and invade you forgot my name is Cj and I hope to become much mOre active around here from now on

TurtleTortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
RE: At a cross roads, and I can't make u my mind!

Can't say much except they definatly need UVB.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

I think you mean redfoot, not red toe? Or are you thinking three toed box turtle?

MrNiceGuy

5 Year Member

Jacqui said:
I think you mean redfoot, not red toe? Or are you thinking three toed box turtle?

Your right, I ment redfoot it was late and I had not got much sleep the night before lol I apologize.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi CJ:

Yes, tortoises require UVB, but the redfoot gets some of his vitamin d3 from the food he eats, so its not as important for a redfoot.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

MrNiceGuy said:
Jacqui said:

Your right, I ment redfoot it was late and I had not got much sleep the night before lol I apologize.

Not a thing to apologize for. We all miss type, our minds work faster at times then our fingers type, and I was just wanting to not give you wrong information.

This is just my personal thinking:

Russians: Will work for PA with cold time inside as you said and actually they can take more cold then the other two species. This species can be hibernated. They will not get the 12", however. UV will be needed, especially if you get a youngster. Some of that can be minimized by outside time. Chances are high that it will need extra heating during the inside time.

Redfoots/Cherryheads: Will work in PA (actually all three will, but this would be second ranked of the three you mentioned). It will get the size you want. Inside you may not need any UV (tho if you have a hatchling, I personally would offer a low level UV off and on) and may not even need a heat lamp depending on your home's heat. However, this species needs a higher humidity level then the other two. Also this one eats fruit along with proteins, which the Russian does not.

Burmese Star: The sharpest looking of the group I think, but also one that has a higher level of care needed then the other two in my opinion. Refresh my memory, have you had any experience with tortoises? How about turtles or other reptiles? If your a beginner, I really would not recommend this species, tho you may be able to handle one.

Status
Not open for further replies.