Average age for 70g?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weda737

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NC
I'm trying to guestimate how old my tortoise was when I got him. He was 70g and had just a little little tiny bit of pyramid bumps going on. How old is the typical 70 gram-er? Geez, I was thinking that now he's close to a year old. I got him in July. Now I'm thinking maybe he's 9 months old now? lol Halp! I need to weigh him again, He's grown so much!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The range of growth is so variable that an average is pretty meaningless. In general the drier kept ones grow slower, at least in my experience.

I've got some right now that hatched around 11-18-11 that range from 58 to 68 grams. They got no Mazuri for the first month or so, because I was out, and they've been getting a lot of tender young grass shoots and mallow, because that's what popping up right now. The ones that hatched on 12-06-11 are now between 48 and 52. I would anticipate that they will all be over 70 grams by 8-10 weeks of age.

If yours was started dry and on rabbit pellets, I would anticipate much slower growth than that.

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
They sent me something that looks identical to mazuri with him, but I don't think he ever got started on it until quite a while after I got him. He wouldn't eat it. Pictures of their adults were pretty bumpy, not sure if that says anything though, they may not have raised them from babies.

Status
Not open for further replies.