Baby attacked by a dog

Hurcules_sulcata

I have a baby tortoise maybe 8 months and I went out and my mom was letting him roam the back yard she took her eyes off of him and came back with him inside our dogs mouth. He has a hole in his shell and a pretty big chunk taken out of the front of his shell. He has some bleeding but I think the swelling is restricitng him from pushing his head out of his shell. We taking him to the vet I want to know his chances of survival and what the after care is I need to do.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I'm sorry to hear this. Only time will tell if your baby will make it. He might have to much internal damage. Hope he pulls through.

Tortoisefanatic88

5 Year Member
PA
Omg :( this topic has been posted at the top of general tortoise discussion for a good reason. Never leave your tort and dog alone not even for a minute. I guess post pictures for some of the experts on here to see if he has a chance. I guess only time will tell.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sorry to hear this. It seems as the weather gets nice dogs and torts are left together more often then any other time. I hope all goes well. For now, until you see a vet, keep him warm and on paper towels or a regular towel, no substrate. I would also give him a warm soak to keep him hydrated

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
So sorry. This is such a hard sad lesson. I had to learn this the hard way as well. Mine was ok, I got lucky. I hope you do too.

krh11b23

5 Year Member
Sorry for you and your tort. I hope all goes well at the vet, and this little guy makes it thru

Hurcules_sulcata

So found out hercules is actually a girl. But the vet said the bite wasn't fatal, just need to be really careful about infection but all in all dodged a bullet today.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
So found out hercules is actually a girl. But the vet said the bite wasn't fatal, just need to be really careful about infection but all in all dodged a bullet today.
Hercules is far too small to tell gender. They all look female at that size. Hercules has a lot of growing before you will kmow, so please ignore the vet's opinion on this!

Good news about the bite and I hope Hercules recovers quickly.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
They are very tough and many if not most survive such an injury.
That sized tortoise should never be left unattended outdoors even without a dog around.
They sure get into trouble quickly!
Best of luck on a speedy recovery.