Baby Bragging!

MildredsMommy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, Texas
So I have not been on here in some time-life has been somewhat crazy and tragic lately, but I wanted to show off some new "baby" pictures and get back in the groove of Tortoise Love!! I have three tortoises: Mildred Pierce, (ornate Boxie) Jerry Lee, (redfoot) and Bob Marley (Texas Tortoise). I am forever greatful to this wonderful forum for getting me thru a nasty bout of URI with Jerry Lee-who is now happy and healthy! I attached some of their best pics (although arent all of them the best when you love them so much? :<3:

Jerry Lee.jpg Bob.jpg Millie.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I LOVE your pictures! The face full of greens is just precious. A bit of advice: Take a fingernail clipper and with the corner of the clipper, not the full cutting edge, take little triangular-shaped bites off the edge of Mildred's upper beak. If you allow it to grow out much longer, it's going to start to grow horizontally and it will be like a duck bill. Once it gets that shape it's very hard to get it back vertical. Then feed her on a rough stone or piece of cement and it will keep it filed down.

MildredsMommy

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Texas
I LOVE your pictures! The face full of greens is just precious. A bit of advice: Take a fingernail clipper and with the corner of the clipper, not the full cutting edge, take little triangular-shaped bites off the edge of Mildred's upper beak. If you allow it to grow out much longer, it's going to start to grow horizontally and it will be like a duck bill. Once it gets that shape it's very hard to get it back vertical. Then feed her on a rough stone or piece of cement and it will keep it filed down.

Thank you Yvonne-I was wondering about that-would I be able to clip her nails as well? And I am assuming this will not hurt her? this weekend is the bi monthly enclosure overhaul, so I was planning on taking care of everything at once...LOL

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, you can clip the nails. If you do it in a very bright light you should be able to see the line of blood that runs down through the nail, and don't clip that short (to the blood line).