Baby CB Eastern Box Turtles

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyrs4u

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Portland, OR.
Hey everyone, could the regulars here give me an idea of what is a 'average' price for CB Eastern's that have grown here three months?

I don't want to over charge, or step on toes by underselling.

Thank you so much...

100_0151.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think you need to look around and see what they're selling for on the 'net. I've seen ornate babies for around $150, however, I think that's too much. But that's just me. You need to set your price and see if they sell. If not, it was too high. If they go quickly, you'll know that next time you probably can charge a bit more.

Look back through our "sold" section and see what they've sold for here on the forum in the past.

It's very considerate of you to be thinking of others and not stepping on toes, but it boils down to its your babies, and what you charge is up to you and the demand for them.

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
For hatchlings I would say between 40 and 80$ for most. Though if the have parents that carry the high red or blue or green traits you may be able to get more. Also for legal reasons they can't be sold as pets because of the federal 4 inch law. There may be other laws in your state. In Maryland boxers have to be of captive origin and 4 inches to be sold or have proof that they are not of Md origin if wild. Though in reality they don't differentiate between the subspecies or species except the aquatic box turtle.

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
Online wholesale for large groups from normal colored adults runs from 15-30 dollars each. Many pet stores will pay 15-25 dollars each.
Selling them yourself to the consumer would be 40-80 each, like Saloli said. You might discount for split scutes. Very high color babies with white/yellow mottling on the shell along with the usual spots typically go for around 100.00. Personally, I think 150.00 is really steep for a baby with no real guarantee of how it will look as an adult, but I suppose it's what the buyer will pay that really determines it. I always try to provide a photo of the mother and the father/ or potential fathers, along with how long/what likelihood the depicted father has been a potential candidate.
Due to sperm retention of up to 4 years or more, it's difficult to know for sure on the father, and the same clutch can have multiple fathers. Frequent matings are the best way to flush out old sperm, so if you are observing frequent SUCCESSFUL mating that is a good sign.
Lots of dishonest marketing on fathers out there. Last year, an SC pet store was selling babies for 150 each, claiming a specific high-colored male was the father. In reality, they just had that male in the pen, and the babies were probably from gravid, wild-caught mothers. The male had only been in their possession since late spring, so it's almost impossible to say he could have sired any of the offspring. BUT, the ad was compelling, and sold the babies pretty well.

Steve

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
Though if you see captive bred turtles of legal size they are in the 2-300$ range for easterns but they are rarely available most boxers for sale unfortunately are wild caught which isn't sustainable.

j333fernandez

5 Year Member
Hi I've been looking for baby box turtles EVERYWHERE but they are always over priced.($100.00).so I'm
Glad u do not want too overprice ,but I don't want to underprice.so maybe we could meet half way on the price about $50.00 or $60.00

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Every where I've looked they run $50.00 and up. So you set your price on what you think they are worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.