Baby it's cold outside

Jim in Merced CA

5 Year Member
my 12 year old Sulcata has been staying in his heated enclosure since it started getting chilly about a week ago - hasn't set food outside - should I be worried?

motero

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Is he fat and well fed? Does he have a runny nose? What temperature is his hide? How is it heated? How big is your tortoise?

Mine come out every day that the sun is out. If it is overcast or they aren't warm enough they stay In.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Same here ! I feed my guys in their houses daily . I've seen my sulcata out in cold weather as long as the sun is out .

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
More information will help. I am guessing the box is not warm enough. My Sulcata comes out when there is snow and it is below freezing. Not for long, but enough to check it out. Take a few bites of grass and be cranky about the snow. Then he goes back in to warm up. He didn't come out when it first got cold, so I added a light in his box on a timer. It warms that side of the box up to over 90 and the other side stays in the low 80's during the day.
IMG_20151127_092714.jpg

Jim in Merced CA

5 Year Member
Great comments all - thanks

Ed Jones is big and healthy and well fed.

I've fed him - and watched him eat so I think he's just not interested in being part of the cold and overcast weather.