Baby red foot

TooRoo

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
A friend gave me her baby red foot because he won’t eat. His eyes won’t open , his shell is soft and he doesn’t eat. Any suggestions?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
A friend gave me her baby red foot because he won’t eat. His eyes won’t open , his shell is soft and he doesn’t eat. Any suggestions?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The usual cause of not eating is because he isn't warm enough. When they don't eat they don't get calcium and the bones and shell get soft. When they bones and shell get soft it's because they don't eat, don't get calcium and the calcium needs UVB/vitamin d3 in order to do its job inside the tortoise.

So you have your work cut out for you:

calcium rich foods
a tiny sprinkling of calcium over the food two or three times a week
a GOOD UVB light
a warm enclosure - 80-85F degrees all over the whole enclosure day and night

TooRoo

Texas
He is probably six months old. I have soaked him and also soaked him in baby carrots. He did finally open his eyes but still won’t eat, His shell is extremely soft underneath and has a green tint. I’m keeping him warm but really don’t know anything else to do.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He is probably six months old. I have soaked him and also soaked him in baby carrots. He did finally open his eyes but still won’t eat, His shell is extremely soft underneath and has a green tint. I’m keeping him warm but really don’t know anything else to do.
Calcium with d3 and a good UVB light. Maybe a vet can give him a calcium injection since he's not eating??

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Do you have a UVB lamp?
If not, take him outside for at least an hour of actual sunshine. But make sure he doesn't get too hot (above 90)
The uvb will help him metabolize the D3 that he needs.
You should also pickup a bottle of calcium powder at a pet shop.
But DON'T buy any of the lights they sell.