Baby Redfoot keeps pacing and bumping into the back wall

scoopaway

Location (City and/or State)
asheville
Hello!

I just got a redfoot tortoise yesterday. He's eating, drinking, and very active. But he keeps pacing and desperately trying to escape or climb the walls.

The warm side of the enclosure is 95 degrees. The cool side is 77 degrees. The humidity gage says 86%.

Do you think he is seeing his reflection in the plastic of the tub? I put a black liner all around it on the outside so that he can't see out. But hes still constantly bumping into it.

Any advice is appreciated.

Attachments

• 20240815_123740.jpg
    20240815_123740.jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 1

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Hello and welcome!

Those temperatures aren’t really ideal for a red foot, the temperature shouldn’t be going below 80 anywhere day or night, and 95 is much warmer than red foot’s like, they aren’t actually a basking species and you don’t need a warmer and cooler end for these guys, you’re best going with an ambient temperature range of 80-86. With temps being a bit off, it could explain the pacing, though its more likely stress from a new move.

Perhaps this thread I made below will be helpful for you to read through🙂let me know if you have any further questions!

scoopaway

asheville
Hello and welcome!

Those temperatures aren’t really ideal for a red foot, the temperature shouldn’t be going below 80 anywhere day or night, and 95 is much warmer than red foot’s like, they aren’t actually a basking species and you don’t need a warmer and cooler end for these guys, you’re best going with an ambient temperature range of 80-86. With temps being a bit off, it could explain the pacing, though its more likely stress from a new move.

Perhaps this thread I made below will be helpful for you to read through🙂let me know if you have any further questions!

Thank you!! I will check that post for sure.

Reactions: Tom

Tortellini0000

Vancouver bc
Hello!

I just got a redfoot tortoise yesterday. He's eating, drinking, and very active. But he keeps pacing and desperately trying to escape or climb the walls.

The warm side of the enclosure is 95 degrees. The cool side is 77 degrees. The humidity gage says 86%.

Do you think he is seeing his reflection in the plastic of the tub? I put a black liner all around it on the outside so that he can't see out. But hes still constantly bumping into it.

Any advice is appreciated.
Hey! Where is your enclosure from?

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
View attachment 377405View attachment 377408
here is how the side of the wall looks. it does look a little reflective maybe?
Hello! Try to make more hiding places for him - shady plants, buried plant pot halves or plastic boxes with a doorway cut on the side, a piece of cork bark to dig under. This will ease the stress from new environment and will allow him to choose a safe place with comfortable temperature.