Baby Sulcata Eats Lizard Poop

kitxunei

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Hello!

I live in Florida and we have many brown anoles around our yard. Inevitably, my 2 month old sulcata always finds some lizard poop when I let him roam the yard. Despite having various grasses and greens available (with calcium, D3, and multivitamin powder), he loves to eat the lizard poop!

Many wild animals carry parasites in their feces, so I am concerned if this could be harmful. However, when my sulcata gets larger I plan to leave him full-time in an outdoor enclosure, which will inevitably have feces from wild animals. I wonder if letting him eat this will improve his immune system, as I know some baby animals in the wild eat poop to build up immunities, but I cannot find any research on this regarding sulcatas.

P.S. he never eats his own poop. Just lizard poop.

ryan57

PA
Hello!

I live in Florida and we have many brown anoles around our yard. Inevitably, my 2 month old sulcata always finds some lizard poop when I let him roam the yard. Despite having various grasses and greens available (with calcium, D3, and multivitamin powder), he loves to eat the lizard poop!

Many wild animals carry parasites in their feces, so I am concerned if this could be harmful. However, when my sulcata gets larger I plan to leave him full-time in an outdoor enclosure, which will inevitably have feces from wild animals. I wonder if letting him eat this will improve his immune system, as I know some baby animals in the wild eat poop to build up immunities, but I cannot find any research on this regarding sulcatas.

P.S. he never eats his own poop. Just lizard poop.
I will confirm that this is an actual thing... being a turdoise. Turds are Stump's passion. Bird poop seems to be the major motivation in exploring around and boy the excitement in cleaning bird poop off the concrete... It's what my turdoise lives for.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
He suspect is finding something in that, that he is missing in his diet, check your providing reptile minerals and calcium. If diet us correct then not a lot you can do as I guess lizards roam.