Baby Sulcata Tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
New Albany,Indiana
I have recently gotten into sulcata tortoises, owning a couple redfoots and a Russian for around 5 years now. I got my little sulcata Irwin(named after Steve Irwin) a few weeks ago but I've noticed the past few days the little guys had some clear bubbles coming from his/her nose. Irwin is still very active and eating/drinking normally, and doesn't seem to have issues breathing. It usually happens after Irwin wakes up or seems a little stressed from being handled. the temps of the cage are usually 85-92ish during the day, at night they've dropped in the mid 70's but I've been adding more heat at night to keep them above the 80's. I'll add a video soon of the lil guy outside. I hope the little guy isn't getting sick, any feedback is much appreciated!

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Sulcatas are prone to respiratory ailments if kept in less-than-ideal situations. Proper temperature, humidity, and diet are crucial to a young sulcata's health. Temps should be no lower than 80F on the cool side. Humidity should be kept north of 80%. The enclosure should be covered in order to maintain the temps and humidity. If you've not yet had a chance to read the care sheet, they can be found here:

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

A good pic of its enclosure would help us better determine further steps for you to take.

New Albany,Indiana
I could cover a part of the tank to try and hold the moisture in better, the cage I'm making will be enclosed with vent holes that will allow the heat and humidity to stay in.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Bueno. Your little sullie will take off like a rocket. If you haven't done so yet, you'll need to start planning for a MUCH larger enclosure. 4'x8' is recommended. Also, it is recommended to keep the UVB bulb inside the enclosure. The glass will filter out all or most of the needed UVB. Here's a pic of mine. It was 4'x4' at the time, but I've since doubled it. Notice how my heating and UVB elements are inside the enclosure:
20180812_073353.jpg

New Albany,Indiana
I have been planning out enclosures, I can rig something up to keep the lighting and uvb inside the cage. I'll take the little guy to the vet soon to make sure everything is okay. Thanks for the information, I really want to watch Irwin grow up and be a beast haha. I'm going to build the enclosure soon, just need to gather the supplies.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
I have been planning out enclosures, I can rig something up to keep the lighting and uvb inside the cage. I'll take the little guy to the vet soon to make sure everything is okay. Thanks for the information, I really want to watch Irwin grow up and be a beast haha. I'm going to build the enclosure soon, just need to gather the supplies.
Sweet. Let us know what the vet says.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The nose bubbles are a bad sign. Its usually caused by cool night temps. With that open top, I don't know how you'll keep it warm on the side where the heat lamp isn't.

If you catch it early and correct the problem, you should be able to avoid medicine and vet treatment. Get the temperature up to 85-90 day and night in the entire enclosure, and keep it that way until 2 weeks after symptoms disappear. Then you can drop it back down to 80 in the coolest area at night. Soak for 45-60 minutes every single day during this period of high temps, and keep the substrate extra damp.

The thermometer/hygrometer your are using is inaccurate and unreliable. Its also not down where it needs to be at tortoise level. Get a digital unit from Lowes for about $10 and move it around the enclosure to check the night temps in the corners farthest from the heat sources.

New Albany,Indiana
I went out and bought a large storage tub that I'm going to rig up temporarily until I can make something, it will be mainly closed just one open area where the main heat lamp will be. All the lighting will be more inside the cage rather than sitting above on a screen. Thanks for the information, it's greatly appreciated!

New Albany,Indiana
Got the new temporary setup going. I've noticed it's holding heat and humidity better especially with the Cypress mulch instead of the reptibark. I have the uvb inside the cage now as well so nothing is blocking it. It's not pretty but it definitely holds up better.

Attachments

• 15566791354294553568009060088306.jpg
    15566791354294553568009060088306.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 37
  • 1556679152998342811061475598990.jpg
    1556679152998342811061475598990.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 36
  • 15566791698186822103305128227211.jpg
    15566791698186822103305128227211.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 36
New Albany,Indiana
Took the little guy to the vet today and it is upper respiratory infection, they gave me some meds which should help build the immune system so hopefully it'll help the infection pass.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Took the little guy to the vet today and it is upper respiratory infection, they gave me some meds which should help build the immune system so hopefully it'll help the infection pass.
Meds will only treat the symptoms. Has the CAUSE been addressed and corrected?

New Albany,Indiana
i have kept the temps 85-90 day and night with 80%+ humidity with a more enclosed cage so it holds in the heat and humidity in better. I've also been doing longer soaks and all the lighting is inside the cage including the UVB.