Baby with older?

navycop2004

Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
I was thinking about getting a baby redfoot, I already have an adult inside of an 8x4x4 enclosure, is it ok to house them together or not such a good idea for at least the time being? Thanks

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
I was thinking about getting a baby redfoot, I already have an adult inside of an 8x4x4 enclosure, is it ok to house them together or not such a good idea for at least the time being? Thanks
Short answer is no. Not at all, not ever. Tortoises don't do well in pairs. It causes unwanted stress and most likely your hatchling redfoot will probably die. 2nd your enclosure is not big enough for an adult redfoot. They need something about 10x10 or bigger.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Seconding what mojo has said, nope absolutely not, no tortoise should be kept in pairs, whilst some people keep groups of red foots, that’s with mass amount of land and the correct male to female ratio, all similar sizes.
Also yes your guy is going to need a size upgrade, I don’t suppose you’d mind uploading some photos of your set up? It’s always good for us to know how members are keeping them, what lighting/heating, substrate, temps, humidity etc🙂

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Absolutely not! The enclosure you have is to small for one adult as it is. That size is for an adult Russian not Redfoot.
Tortoises should never be housed in pairs and a baby never with an adult.
Work on getting the RF you have into a proper sized enclosure before adding another to your life. Then be sure you have the room for another proper sized enclosure

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello!
Your adult RF won't appreciate this. And a weak rival on his territory won't stand a chance to survive. When redfoots are called "social" it doesn't mean they have social needs (partnership, friendship) or developed social behaviours (caring for youth or conflict management). This simply means they won't rush to kill other tortoise in sight.

Also, there is a real risk of transmitting diseases. And if hatchling is infected you can lose both tortoises.