1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

backwaterreptiles.com (SCAM)

Discussion in 'Tortoise Vendor Reviews' started by tortoiseplanet, Feb 20, 2018.

1. tortoiseplanet

tortoiseplanet Active Member

Beware!
    Never buy from
    http://www.backwaterreptiles.com

I recently purchased a Russian tortoise from backwater reptiles and he came in dead at arrival. Horrible. I then contact them he is diseased the same day. They tell me to send a picture of the bottom of his shell and the shipping label. I did. They then ask me to send a clear photo of his face. I did.
    Then they email me:
    “Thank you for the updated snapshot--so sad to see :( Upon review of your order I see that being more than a week past delivery, your Live Arrival Guarantee has expired.”

What a scam. Do not buy from them.
    ZEROPILOT likes this.
  2. Benjtort

Benjtort Active Member

(These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    I was about to fall into that trap too!! Instead I bought from a local breeder
  3. Cowboy_Ken

Cowboy_Ken Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

This is another fine example of the value we all are able to gain from by being active members of this fine forum. I feel it’s basically all of our RESPONSIBILITY to help keep OUR forum a healthy, informative forum for fellow tortoise and turtle keepers around the world. If we see someone acting inappropriately, send them a friendly PM about us being a family friendly forum. If that gets nowhere, PM a moderator and give them the lowdown.
    All of that said, I’m thrilled to have the forum as a resource for this type of feedback, bad or great. Sure we could go to the website of the company we’d be considering buying from, then find the customer reviews, then try to clean out the fluff reviews, but truthfully, I’d rather trust those I don’t know here on the forum rather than some long-haired hippie freak like mike taylor. Okay. That last review pointing at mike taylor was simply me having fun with the man.
    As for first hand experience and a review pertaining to that first hand experience I throw my hat fully into the ring for Tom. Y’all know the guy. He writes all those stickies at the tops of the specie specific sections. He digs those excellent underground burrows. He freely posts his trials and tribulations.
    Buy a hatchling from Tom and you will have a lifelong tortoise contact friend starting out, if I remember correctly, from before he’s even shipped the hatchling to y’all. Then, email, text, or old fashioned telephone calls available from the man from then on. Heckfire, if like me, he may start making cracks about your family members you’re foolish enough to introduce him to. But not bad taste or off color cracks, just enough that you’ll know he was paying attention. I received a sulcata hatchling from Tom that was doing great. I received the hatchling in October of 2013 I believe IMG_0012.jpg I named him, “Little Ricky”. Here he is at one of the last times I saw him IMG_0861.jpg the story? I was in a fairly intense rollover auto accident IMG_1757.jpg it left me out of sorts for a spell IMG_1677.jpg While I was in a hospital recovery center, my ex wife allowed most all of my tortoises to be stolen! At that stage I was working at becoming competition against Tom! Sure, smaller scale, I only HAD one female sulcata,(yuppers, stolen). Okay enough about my vote for Tom.
    My other vote goes to…Jodie. I received from her a hatchling leopard IMG_2933.jpg knowing I was seriously gonna buy one and Jodie having my cash in hand, she allowed me first pick from the photos. I deliberately picked Shebelle due to her multiple split scutes looking like a zipper down here back.
    So there are my personal reviews for folks other than myself.
    Jodie for leopard hatchings.
    And Tom for sulcata hatchlings.
    And that doctor that really helped me out after my wreck.
    TechnoCheese and CarolM like this.
  4. Benjtort

Benjtort Active Member

Poor Ricky and poor you so sad to here about this tragic story did you ever find the missing torts?? Or did you’re ex wife just not care??
    Cowboy_Ken likes this.
  5. Cowboy_Ken

Cowboy_Ken Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Most I was able to track down and I have come to peace where they now live. But not my Little Ricky or Makita my large breeding female sulcata. Here she is IMG_0592.jpg those are 8”x8” post beside her. Big, smooth, and raised in Idaho no less. Go figure, right? And my ex refused to provide any information to me regarding where they might be.
    TechnoCheese likes this.
  6. Benjtort

Benjtort Active Member

Wow what a pretty sulcata!! To bad you couldn’t find it be fortunately you found the rest
    Cowboy_Ken likes this.
  7. TechnoCheese

TechnoCheese Well-Known Member

I can see why she’s your ex...
    Cowboy_Ken likes this.
  8. Benjtort

Benjtort Active Member

I thought the same thing lol
    Cowboy_Ken and TechnoCheese like this.
  9. barrabuss

barrabuss New Member

I had the same issue with backwater....I received a sick redfoot who died a few days later. It's rare they respond back to your email and phone?....forget that, they do not dare let you call them. They may have to answer, lol. Tortoises are cheap, but...you get what you pay for ...from this place for sure.
  10. tortoiseplanet

tortoiseplanet Active Member

Sorry to hear that. I will definitely never be buying anything from them again.