Balder, the new Foster

wiccan_chicken

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
Meet Balder! He's a Basset hound Rough Collie mix. I was called while at work by a frantic 14 year old who was worried he'd be put down. So at 11:30 at night I picked this dude up. It'd been a roller coaster ride. He's a sweet dog and loves people and other dogs, but eats my house. Yes EATS my house. So as much as I hate to do this, He has to go in a crate at night because thats the only time I catch him scratching at the house.

Routine. Every morning I take this boy out for a walk before either of us eat. He gets leash training with a harness and is getting much better. Then he gets ran. Where I buck at him and he takes off in a play chase game. After that he's fed and I get ready for work. I keep him as active as I can so he is tired most of the day but I am not with him for eight hours of the day, middle of the afternoon to later at night so I can't really work him the way I want to.

He's smart, is picking up on clicker training as well as working without food sometimes. (increasing that slowly by rewarding him with pets) He knows sit, down, leave it, and is working on thresh hold and leash training. (I go through doors first, you learn heal and also can walk ahead as long as you dont tug on the leash)
Surprisingly, Balder is VERY good with my two senile old ladies. They are used to strange dogs in their yard, but they have never gotten along this well with another dog except for one. He knows whan to back off, and how to play gently with my girls. I'm VERY happy with that.Balder adorable.jpgbalder handsome.jpg balder smile.jpg balder lake.jpg Balder wiggle butt.jpg Balder Gate.jpg balder sit.jpg

I'd love for Balder to go to someone who can be with him quite a lot and run this pup. I'm planning on teaching him to run beside a bike as well so thats another option. He's also getting neutered before being adopted out, though he gets along with other non neutered males just fine. Here's what everyone is waiting for, PICS!

wiccan_chicken

5 Year Member
Georgia
Balder also cuddles <3 He likes to put his head in your lap while you scratch his butt, and eventually flop in your lap. Then he curls up like this. Balder cuddle.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Such a cute dog. He shouldn't be hard to place. I have one suggestion. Do not let a dog walk ahead. Top dog gets to be first. Same as you going through the door first you should also be the head leader of the walks. Have fun with him. Glad you took him in.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
He is a beauty! Glad you took him in and are working to make him ready for his next and permanent home. :)

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I don't necessarily go for the go through the door first and always ahead on walks thing. I think too much emphasis is put on thinking the dog is always trying to take over. That's not usually the case - they are just being dogs. Teaching good manners and the appropriate way to act is the important thing. Your thought of you can walk a bit ahead as long as you don't pull on the leash is how I do it as well. Just good manners.

He is a cutie for sure. And two great breeds!

wiccan_chicken

5 Year Member
Georgia
Short update, he was beginning to become possessive of me and starting fights with my other two dogs. I thought I found him a home but after a week, they've decided he is too big for them. I can't take him back as he is starting fights with my dogs, and is a danger to my cats. I'm doing my best to find him a rescue that is no kill and will take him. If anyone knows of a rescue (big or small) who could take him in the atlanta ish georgia area (I am willing to drive further to make sure he is safely going to a good rescue.) I feel like I failed him. He's a smart, awesome dog, but is too much for me to handle. I am not home for over 11 hours at a time, and I do not get to work with him as much as I would love to. He gets regular walks but not enough manner training. I don't have a good schedule for fostering but I can not bear to see him go to a pound, because he will be the first to go since he is so hyper and loud. My poor Balder. I have a week to find him a rescue. Oy it's been a long, personally taxing week.

Attachments

• 20140920_124203.jpg
    20140920_124203.jpg
    555.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 20140917_102859.jpg
    20140917_102859.jpg
    425.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 20141013_122753.jpg
    20141013_122753.jpg
    560.7 KB · Views: 5