Bark

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr. Binks

5 Year Member
Would bark be a good substrate for a Russian tort? I saw some videos that said bark would work.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Greenfield, In.
I like coco-coir myself. It holds moisture great, doesnt mold, and is easy to clean out. I used some bark type stuff on Ophelia (my female Russian), and she has a lousy time walking through it. Plus if the coco-coir is deep enough she will bury herself in it. This is just my personal choice.. Good luck!!

Mrturtle527

5 Year Member
Northern California
I have coco coir in my indoor enclosure and both RTs like it. Outside I have a mix and some it bark - Oogway doesn't seem to mind it but its rather thinly layered and on firm dirt so it's not a burrowing spot and easy to walk on.

Check us out on Facebook
www.facebook.com/mrturtle527

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum mobile app

WillTort2

5 Year Member
I've never used the bark; but others have stated the the bark does not hold moisture as well as the coco coir. If your bark becomes dusty you would not want your tort breathing the bark dust.

You could mix some plain top soil with your bark and then add coco coir for your top layer. Add a few sow bugs and you should be able to have a easy to maintain substrate.

Good luck.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I use and prefer orchid bark for most tortoise housing situations. I use orchid bark for housing older bigger Russians and I use coco coir for housing babies. Any fine grade orchid bark (like the kind you'd buy at a pet store) will hold moisture just fine. Dust hasn't been a problem for me.

Regular dirt works fine too.

Caitlin

5 Year Member
WillTortoise said:
I've never used the bark; but others have stated the the bark does not hold moisture as well as the coco coir. If your bark becomes dusty you would not want your tort breathing the bark dust.

You could mix some plain top soil with your bark and then add coco coir for your top layer. Add a few sow bugs and you should be able to have a easy to maintain substrate.

Good luck.

What are sow bugs!!!!

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Sow Bugs...also known as Potato Bugs, Rolly Pollies, etc.

So, why would we use them?

Sandy in Oregon
Schlomo the rescue Sulcata
Dexter and Lola (Basenjis)
Sent from my iPad using TortForum mobile app

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Sow bug will eat the leftover vegetable bits to keep the enclosure cleaner. They may even eat the tort dung; I'm not sure on that.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I have sow bugs in my indoor enclosure. About 2 doz of them. It's the cleanest enclosure. Hardly any left over food, no poop, no knats ;) all thanks to those little critters

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

LisaTurtle

5 Year Member
Seattle
Right now I'm using about a 50/50 mix of coco coir and repti bark for my russian's indoor enclosure. I'm gonna have to try the Sow bugs! I've just started noticing little tiny flying bugs hanging around in there. Thanks for the idea! Time to go sow bug hunting :)

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
I've used the coconut coir mixed with topsoil and my RT loves it. My red foot loves the orchid bark and I did do a 50/50 temporary mix for my new RT but as soon as I changed it to coconut coir and topsoil he was one happy tort [TURTLE]

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
I do coco coir and top soil, and I also throw in pill bugs, I don't know what I would do without them as a clean up crew haha. They take care of gnats, mites, dung, leftovers everything I miss.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Start with whatever you can find around your yard. Keep adding them as you find them; look under rocks under your door mat or anywhere that hold a little moisture.

Status
Not open for further replies.