Brand Orchid Bark

tortoisecrca

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Manitoba Canada ??
I want to mix orchid bark in with coconut coir. I saw some at Canadian tire and the brand is miricle grow which I’m wondering if it has additives. I prefer not to buy the fine orchard bark as I have lung issues so was wondering what you’d recommend . Can I use a less powdery type or is there a brand you’d recommend. Or would larger coco coir be better?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I get mine a Home Depot. An American company.
Look for pure Orchid bark. Orchid media. Not Orchid mix.
Where to get it in Canada? I have no idea. But no need to go to a pet store. I'm sure.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Is it called miracle grow? Sorry, I couldn’t read the name
The bag says "Better-Gro" on the top line, then underneath that it says "Orchid Bark"

Do you have any Lowe's stores or Home Depots in Canada? It may be available at either one of them. The picture which was posted is from a Home Depot web site. Walmart might also have it if there are any of them in Canada.

tortoisecrca

10 Year Member!
Manitoba Canada ??
The bag says "Better-Gro" on the top line, then underneath that it says "Orchid Bark"

Do you have any Lowe's stores or Home Depots in Canada? It may be available at either one of them. The picture which was posted is from a Home Depot web site. Walmart might also have it if there are any of them in Canada.
Yes we have both, thank you so much !!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Be very careful with any potting stuff. As I said in the p.m., I have gotten fooled by miracle grow, thinking it was only orchid bark and it wasn't. It had the little white beads in it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I want to mix orchid bark in with coconut coir. I saw some at Canadian tire and the brand is miricle grow which I’m wondering if it has additives. I prefer not to buy the fine orchard bark as I have lung issues so was wondering what you’d recommend . Can I use a less powdery type or is there a brand you’d recommend. Or would larger coco coir be better?
Like any substrate, fine grade orchid bark will need to be kept damp, so there should be no dust to bother your lungs. No substrate should be dry and dusty. That isn't good for the tortoise or its keeper. Coco coir is good for baby Testudo, but I find it too messy for larger tortoises. If you use coco coir, keep it damp and firmly hand pack it down. I don't like coco chips for tortoises. Its hard for them to walk on it, and I worry about accidental ingestion.

For any package of orchid bark, look at the ingredients list on the back of the package. It will say everything that is in it. Don't get anything with any sort of additives. Just plain fir bark.

tortoisecrca

10 Year Member!
Manitoba Canada ??
Like any substrate, fine grade orchid bark will need to be kept damp, so there should be no dust to bother your lungs. No substrate should be dry and dusty. That isn't good for the tortoise or its keeper. Coco coir is good for baby Testudo, but I find it too messy for larger tortoises. If you use coco coir, keep it damp and firmly hand pack it down. I don't like coco chips for tortoises. Its hard for them to walk on it, and I worry about accidental ingestion.

For any package of orchid bark, look at the ingredients list on the back of the package. It will say everything that is in it. Don't get anything with any sort of additives. Just plain fir bark.
Ok thanks very much. I went to places where I am in Canada and they only carry miracle gro orchid but it isn’t suitable. They don’t carry better gro either. I’ll keep looking

zovick

10 Year Member!
Ok thanks very much. I went to places where I am in Canada and they only carry miracle gro orchid but it isn’t suitable. They don’t carry better gro either. I’ll keep looking
I found this from LLL Reptile and Supply, but can't tell how fine the pieces are from the photo:

Maybe you could get a sample sent to you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You can order it online in 24 quart bags. Its called repti-bark. We use chewy.com, or petco.com, but you guys have kijiji up there, right?

tortoisecrca

10 Year Member!
Manitoba Canada ??
You can order it online in 24 quart bags. Its called repti-bark. We use chewy.com, or petco.com, but you guys have kijiji up there, right?
Yes, I’m just running out to buy some. Thanks! Should it be quite damp?

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
And as far as "dust/powder" is concerned and your lung health, I would put the bark in a tub, add water & rinse it off. You will not get rid of 100% of the dust/powder, but you would greatly reduce it, and then add to your enclosure, after letting it dry out a bit so it is damp and not wet...

tortoisecrca

10 Year Member!
Manitoba Canada ??
And as far as "dust/powder" is concerned and your lung health, I would put the bark in a tub, add water & rinse it off. You will not get rid of 100% of the dust/powder, but you would greatly reduce it, and then add to your enclosure, after letting it dry out a bit so it is damp and not wet...
Thank you! I put the bark in a big bucket and rinsed it off and did the same, :). I have a mister spray bottle so can keep up with keeping it a bit damp. I also went and bought a hide, water tray and slate for her this morning so she’s all set up now. I’m not sure on her age but was told around two years

Attachments

• 6507C97F-AF8F-4C74-94A0-2A5E495433E9.png
    6507C97F-AF8F-4C74-94A0-2A5E495433E9.png
    204.4 KB · Views: 2

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
See if you have Wonder Bark in Canada. Also, "fine" doesn't mean fine particles, the "fine" grade of orchid bark has particles that are just under an inch each. And, like Tom said, you keep it moist and there is not dust.