Basking and food

Kyle Lafferty

Newbie panic I hope, I have a little 1 yr old red foot tortoise who over the last couple of days i have been noticing lying under the D3 bulb is this normal behaviour? the temp during the day is a constant 86 degrees and at night sits at 75-77 degress

my second issue is that he/she is so fussy, have tried loads of different foods and always have to result back to a few which during the winter in Scotland are sometimes difficult to find any suggestions?

any help would be great:)

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
Laying under light to bask is normal but all the time prob mean your enclosure is too cool. Torts are stubborn, he is training you to give him the food he likes. Chop up what he likes real small and mix with the new

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Newbie panic I hope, I have a little 1 yr old red foot tortoise who over the last couple of days i have been noticing lying under the D3 bulb is this normal behaviour? the temp during the day is a constant 86 degrees and at night sits at 75-77 degress

my second issue is that he/she is so fussy, have tried loads of different foods and always have to result back to a few which during the winter in Scotland are sometimes difficult to find any suggestions?

any help would be great:)
What is your D3 bulb?
I don't let my juvenile reds drop below 80f.
Sounds like you have cold spots in your enclosure if he is sat under the heat source constantly. Are you checking your temps at Tortoise level, and not 5" up from substrate level. If he's too cool he won't eat.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
do you have a temperature reading for the basking spot?