your advice in tiny RF eggs

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Two of my females layed eggs. One had 3 small eggs. (One damaged) and the other had 5 even smaller eggs. So I have 7 eggs in my closed chamber...turned...incubator.
There is moist vermaculite. Humidity is 75 to 90 percent and the temps are 77 to 85.
My question is: Do these egg Mc nuggets have ANY chance of hatching anything?

Attachments

• 20160309_182900.jpg
    20160309_182900.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 24
  • 1457566594720.jpg
    1457566594720.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 22

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Very slim .....usually the case of a young female starting to produce....but nevertheless a good sign. Extra calcium (cuttlebone for example) during these times is a very helpful "intake". Even small eggs like this will deplete the calcium levels within your gals. I too have some first timers and like yourself putting them in the incubator , nothing wrong with seeing if there is a possible out come. But from the past I myself have had no luck.
Good luck.....though...:)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thanks.
The one larger one that broke had a lot of yolk in it. Nothing developing that I could see, but I also don't know when they were deposited. Maybe 72 hours ago.
(I moved the torts all to another pen for cleaning and planting.) I wasn't looking for eggs.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thanks Jeff ,my girls are laying smaller eggs . So Merv may not be shooting blanks . haha

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
One of my adult Russian females lays smaller than normal eggs. Last year she laid 4 clutches - two clutches with 6 eggs each clutch, one clutch with 3 eggs and 1 clutch with 1 egg. All, but two of the eggs hatched (one egg was damaged when she laid it) and the last clutch with only 1 egg chalked, but then did not develop from there. In 2013 she laid an egg that was super tiny for a Russian tortoise egg (the smallest Russian egg I have ever seen). If I had not seen her lay it I would have thought it was an egg from some other kind of reptile. I did not think the egg would be fertile as it was so tiny, but it was and out hatched the smallest Russian hatchling I have ever seen. The other hatchlings of the same age looked huge next to her. I named her Mini and of course I kept her. She will be 3 years old in another couple of months. Right out of the shell she was strong and even started eating earlier than the other hatchlings. :)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
One of my adult Russian females lays smaller than normal eggs. Last year she laid 4 clutches - two clutches with 6 eggs each clutch, one clutch with 3 eggs and 1 clutch with 1 egg. All, but two of the eggs hatched (one egg was damaged when she laid it) and the last clutch with only 1 egg chalked, but then did not develop from there. In 2013 she laid an egg that was super tiny for a Russian tortoise egg (the smallest Russian egg I have ever seen). If I had not seen her lay it I would have thought it was an egg from some other kind of reptile. I did not think the egg would be fertile as it was so tiny, but it was and out hatched the smallest Russian hatchling I have ever seen. The other hatchlings of the same age looked huge next to her. I named her Mini and of course I kept her. She will be 3 years old in another couple of months. Right out of the shell she was strong and even started eating earlier than the other hatchlings. :)
Cool.
I will keep them incubated and watch them

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I can hardly wait until my reds have offspring . I don't think I will be able to give them away . I don't want to breed an sell them anyway . But I do want to hatch some out for friends and family . Then after that I will not keep the eggs .

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I can hardly wait until my reds have offspring . I don't think I will be able to give them away . I don't want to breed an sell them anyway . But I do want to hatch some out for friends and family . Then after that I will not keep the eggs .
Yeah, breeding was not/is not the purpose. A comfortable living situation is what i was trying for with the 3 to 1 ratio. If I have any hatch, I will select a few locals and teach them on how to care for one, if they don't already know.
we are 100% responsible for the welfare of the babies.