EGGS!

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
My first tortoise eggs! I have a lot of experience keeping but this is my first breeding.
Eggs.jpg
These are from a female cherryhead 9" SCL that I raised from a yearling. This is her first time laying eggs. Unfortunately I wasn't adequately prepared and the incubator won't get here until Monday. For now, the eggs are at room temperature in a styrofoam box.

I have a couple of questions:

1. Will the eggs be OK at 70 F until Monday or Tuesday?
2. Is it OK for me to move the eggs in a few days onto a proper vermiculite substrate, if they aren't turned? I dug the eggs about 2 hours after they were laid and marked the top on each one.
3. Should I keep the dimpled egg? There is no shell in the dimple but the membrane is intact (although covered in dirt)

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
turtlesteve said:
My first tortoise eggs! I have a lot of experience keeping but this is my first breeding.

These are from a female cherryhead 9" SCL that I raised from a yearling. This is her first time laying eggs. Unfortunately I wasn't adequately prepared and the incubator won't get here until Monday. For now, the eggs are at room temperature in a styrofoam box.

I have a couple of questions:

1. Will the eggs be OK at 70 F until Monday or Tuesday?
2. Is it OK for me to move the eggs in a few days onto a proper vermiculite substrate, if they aren't turned? I dug the eggs about 2 hours after they were laid and marked the top on each one.
3. Should I keep the dimpled egg? There is no shell in the dimple but the membrane is intact (although covered in dirt)

Thanks in advance,
Steve

1. 70* ....very sketchy for RF eggs although not impossible.

2. I try not move them at all once laid , washed and placed into the cooker...there was an earlier thread about this same issue...I think Tom has had success and no problems with sullie eggs.

3. Yes keep the dimpled egg...it very well still can be viable

GOOD LUCK ..........Now the Hard part!.... * PATEINCE * :D

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Georgetown, TX
Yea great news on your eggs. I had a similar experience this summer with my Yellowfoot Sissy. My problem was that she layed them outdoors and I was leaving the country for 3 weeks. Kelly Hull came to my rescue with the advice to leave them in the ground until I got back. Which I did until I got home and was able to get an incubator. Now I am patiently awaiting to see what happens. Good luck and I hope all turns out well.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
:D
DixieParadise said:
Yea great news on your eggs. I had a similar experience this summer with my Yellowfoot Sissy. My problem was that she layed them outdoors and I was leaving the country for 3 weeks. Kelly Hull came to my rescue with the advice to leave them in the ground until I got back. Which I did until I got home and was able to get an incubator. Now I am patiently awaiting to see what happens. Good luck and I hope all turns out well.
Way to go EJ … Mr. Kelly to the rescue! :D … Not only a cool guy , but one of the most *knowledgeable* and *experienced * people on this forum - who is always ready to educate and help others!