Basking bulb

Ked95

Location (City and/or State)
Sunderland
Do you guys have your basking bulb on all day or just certain times? I’ve heard various opinions on this topic. All the reptiles I work with have their basking bulbs on all day however they have walk in Vivariums so can easily move away or find the shade if they need.

I’ve never really thought about it until now when I have a small Vivarium at home haha

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
If your ambient temperature is good for your tortoise species, keeping a basking bulb on all day wouldn't be needed.
What type of tortoise?
Some don't bask much

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
She's a radiated, I've seen others say they don't bask much but she seems to quite enjoy it
It looks like that's a "cool side, warm side" tortoise. One that requires different temperatures. So I think a basking bulb is a good idea.
I have no experience with Radiated torts. So I'll let others steer you in the correct direction.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If your ambient temperature is good for your tortoise species, keeping a basking bulb on all day wouldn't be needed.
What type of tortoise?
Some don't bask much
That works for RFs and Radiata, but not as well for other species.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do you guys have your basking bulb on all day or just certain times? I’ve heard various opinions on this topic. All the reptiles I work with have their basking bulbs on all day however they have walk in Vivariums so can easily move away or find the shade if they need.

I’ve never really thought about it until now when I have a small Vivarium at home haha
For all the species I keep and raise, I like the basking bulb to be set on a timer and on all day to simulate the sun and give them a place to go get warmer than ambient. Sulcatas, South African leopards, and Burmese stars. Other people's experience have demonstrated that this is not needed for radiata. I will be following Dan's @Sterant example whenever I get radiata babies.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH

I live with a redfoot, and keep a basking bulb running at one of the enclosure for 12 hours each day. It helps raise the daytime temps at one end of the enclosure a bit, and from time to time, I notice Darwin catching some rays first thing in the morning or throughout the day.

Jamie

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
For all the species I keep and raise, I like the basking bulb to be set on a timer and on all day to simulate the sun and give them a place to go get warmer than ambient. Sulcatas, South African leopards, and Burmese stars. Other people's experience have demonstrated that this is not needed for radiata. I will be following Dan's @Sterant example whenever I get radiata babies.
As @Tom mentioned, I do not use basking bulbs for radiata (never have). In some cases I use basking bulbs for adults, but even then they are only on for 1 hour in the morning and 1 hour in the afternoon. If you have your temperatures and UVB correct, they don't need it. They will, very rarely, bask under the UVB tubes. Another consideration at my place is that I do not heat individual enclosures, I heat the entire room, so I don't have any CHE's or heating elements of any type inside the enclosure. Just the 2 bulb fluorescent fixture that holds my UVB bulb and a 6500K bulb. This method, along with keeping the RH above 85%, in my experience yields perfectly smooth and healthy radiated tortoises. Again, I am only talking about Radiated tortoises here. I also happen to be raising a baby bowsprit tortoise in this same method, but I can't speak to the results yet as it is only a few weeks old.

Ked95

Sunderland
As @Tom mentioned, I do not use basking bulbs for radiata (never have). In some cases I use basking bulbs for adults, but even then they are only on for 1 hour in the morning and 1 hour in the afternoon. If you have your temperatures and UVB correct, they don't need it. They will, very rarely, bask under the UVB tubes. Another consideration at my place is that I do not heat individual enclosures, I heat the entire room, so I don't have any CHE's or heating elements of any type inside the enclosure. Just the 2 bulb fluorescent fixture that holds my UVB bulb and a 6500K bulb. This method, along with keeping the RH above 85%, in my experience yields perfectly smooth and healthy radiated tortoises. Again, I am only talking about Radiated tortoises here. I also happen to be raising a baby bowsprit tortoise in this same method, but I can't speak to the results yet as it is only a few weeks old.

Currently the viv is around 22 degrees c throughout the night (just from the heat of my room) and about 25-28C during the day without the basking bulb on. With the bulb on the hot side reaches 32-35ish and she does seem to enjoy it and spends a lot of time there. Do you think I just heat the room further without basking bulb on to maintain an temp of 30-35C ? Thank you!

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
Currently the viv is around 22 degrees c throughout the night (just from the heat of my room) and about 25-28C during the day without the basking bulb on. With the bulb on the hot side reaches 32-35ish and she does seem to enjoy it and spends a lot of time there. Do you think I just heat the room further without basking bulb on to maintain an temp of 30-35C ? Thank you!
The closed chamber I keep radiated babies in gets to 33c during the day and drops to 20c at night. Within the chamber, there are cooler sections (under hides) that are about 30c, and if the tortoises "bask" under the UV bulbs, they can get their body temp up to about 37c as read with an infra-red heat gun. I'm concerned that if you continue to use the basking bulb, and the tortoise hangs out there a lot, the carapace will get desiccated and you will get pyramiding even if the viv is humid. If you have the ability to heat the room differently and remove the basking bulb, that's what I would do. Others will do things differently, but thats what works for me.

Here's an example of my typical results:
IMG_3193.jpg