Brand of basking bulb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
West Bloomfield MI
We keep having basking bulbs burn out. We aren't buying cheap ones and last time we got a new fixture. And recommendations for a good brand? We have been getting about two or three months. Is that normal?
I came home to Betty dark today. It made me sad because she lived with no basking bulb for a long time before we rescued her. :(

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
RE: Brand of baking bulb

Regular incandescent or MVB?

Your hood may be too small or not well ventilated enough.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Also, if its a Mercury Vapor Bulb, it MUST be mounted in a fixture with a large dome and a ceramic base.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Also if it's a MVB, don't move it or touch it. They say that makes them burn out faster too. I use and so do many others the Zoo Med PowerSun MVB.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The power sun is regarded as the best, and it also needs to be pointing straight down, not at an angle.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
I haven't been using mercury bulbs. I didn't think you could still get one. I have a separate uvb lamp. I have been putting the dome on the mesh that covers the enclosure.
I will look for a power sub bulb. If i can't find one today i will get her a cheap one and order one.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
I will look for a power sub bulb. If i can't find one today i will get her a cheap one and order one.

If you have another light for UV, you don't necessarily have to get a Powersun (they're upwards of $35 BTW). Just need a new basking bulb.

Kerryann said:
I have a separate uvb lamp. I have been putting the dome on the mesh that covers the enclosure.

That could be the issue right there. It shouldn't be touching anything.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
StudentoftheReptile said:

If you have another light for UV, you don't necessarily have to get a Powersun (they're upwards of $35 BTW). Just need a new basking bulb.

Kerryann said:
I have a separate uvb lamp. I have been putting the dome on the mesh that covers the enclosure.

That could be the issue right there. It shouldn't be touching anything.

That is good to know. I didn't think it actually touches the wire mesh but it might, especially when I clean and maybe move stuff around.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
Sooo I replaced her bulb with a power sun and it was fine for a few days. When I got up yesterday her light was still off. I thought her timer was a little off Henry's but it didn't come on after another 15 minutes. I played with the light and it came on. I checked the plug to make sure it was plugged in, I knew it wasn't the timer because it went on and off as I moved it. I changed the fixture and it worked. :) Apparently the wire had a short that when it sat a certain way would work and be at full power but in other positions wouldn't make connection.
I was so proud of myself that I diagnosed and fixed the problem when my husband (who by the way does have an electrical engineering degree) did not :p Plus I saved Betty from another day of cold dark misery. I tested the last bulb I thought went bad and it worked so now I have two spare lights also.

Status
Not open for further replies.