Basking bulbs keep blowing!!

Bethanrs

Location (City and/or State)
Wales uk
I’ve just blown my second heat bulb in two weeks. I use the Arcadia ceramic reflector holder (up to 150w) with the Arcadia heat floodlight 75w. I leave the lamp plugged in and use the switch on the wire to turn lamp on and off. It’s blowing when I turn it back on in the morning after being off for the night. It flashes on then nothing! What could be causing this?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I’ve just blown my second heat bulb in two weeks. I use the Arcadia ceramic reflector holder (up to 150w) with the Arcadia heat floodlight 75w. I leave the lamp plugged in and use the switch on the wire to turn lamp on and off. It’s blowing when I turn it back on in the morning after being off for the night. It flashes on then nothing! What could be causing this?
Might be a bad switch or bad fixture. Sounds like a short. I don't know how reliable the electricity in your country is, so it might help to run it through a surge protector too.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I have another thought; could your bulb be getting wet at all? If water is accumulating at the base in the socket, perhaps that's contributing to a blow out.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Just a thought: ensure that your fixture can support the bulb wattage. Might also be a good idea to connect the lamp to a surge suppressor.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Can you post a picture of it and the enclosure? Is it hanging or do you use a clamp?
Deep domes could cause bulbs to overheat, but I think the reflector dome you have is wide so probably not that. One of my old domes used to make the light flicker when I first put it on but I think that was a loose connection near the in-line switch. it would work if I jiggled it about but that's not safe, so I changed it. Do you know any electricians who could check it for you?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
What type of a heat bulb?
Maybe I've missed you describing it previously?
An MVB type has a ballast. The ones I've used (I don't anymore) would sometimes turn "on" and then go off again for about 2 minutes then light back up again. And stay on for as long as it was needed that day.
Are your bulbs truly blowing I wonder? Or just heating up.

Last edited: