Basking rock

LittleLove

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Tom, I had gotten a nice-sized rock for Fred. I wanted to ask you, is there a certain kind of basking rock I am supposed to get him?

One more question: I had been soaking Fred for a few days, and he wasn't going poop so I thought he was constipated. It seemed like he didn't want to be in there; he was trying to get out. So of course I took.him out. Well today he was soaking for awhile, ( I go in there and Change his water every couple of minutes because it doesn't stay warm, do you do that?) and thank God he finally went he finally went poop the first two little ones were very hard, then after those two he went normal it wasn't hard it was normal. Scared me.
Should I be posting these questions to everyone or is it ok to be asking you.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
If you want to contact a member use @ in front of their name. Welcome to the forum

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Well, you can just do the @ alert to Tom or you can ask just in general. There are many more than just Tom that can answer most questions and may get you an answer faster. However, if you are only going to listen to Tom, then you could just do the alert or pm him. Usually if ankther member can't answer the question, they will send an @ alert to who they think can best answer it
Now as for the rock, any flat rock. As for the soaks, it doesn't matter if they want out, you keep them in. It is good for them to scramble wanting out, that helps keep things moving inside.
As for changing the water every so often, I used to do the same with my leopard. I actually soaked in the bathroom sink. Would drain them add more.
Some people put the soak container in the enclosure off to the side of the basking light and some do it outside in the sun.

LittleLove

Arizona
Well, you can just do the @ alert to Tom or you can ask just in general. There are many more than just Tom that can answer most questions and may get you an answer faster. However, if you are only going to listen to Tom, then you could just do the alert or pm him. Usually if ankther member can't answer the question, they will send an @ alert to who they think can best answer it
Now as for the rock, any flat rock. As for the soaks, it doesn't matter if they want out, you keep them in. It is good for them to scramble wanting out, that helps keep things moving inside.
You too gave me alot of good suggestions and advice, No, I Want your input to. do you think he was constipated? Also the rock I put in his house, it doesn't get warm?? 🤔

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, he may have been a little constipated which is why it's important to keep them in the soak for at least a half hour or even until he poops, hour tops.
If the rock isn't getting warm/hot, the basking bulb may be either too high or not a big enough wattage. Set a thermometer in the rock under the basking and let it set there for an hour and see what it reads. You want it to be around 90 that would make the top of the tortoise 90-95. Basking temps should be 95-100

LittleLove

Arizona
Thank you so much, I appreciate it. He is really stubborn. Eventually if I leave him in the water will he settle down. So you change your tortoises water every couple of minutes?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thank you so much, I appreciate it. He is really stubborn. Eventually if I leave him in the water will he settle down. So you change your tortoises water every couple of minutes?
Yes, he will settle down. But even if he doesn't that's not a bad thing
Yes,when I did it in my sink, I would run warm water to keep it warm. But when the level got as high as it could in the sink, I would drain it and add more.

LittleLove

Arizona
Yes, he will settle down. But even if he doesn't that's not a bad thing
Yes,when I did it in my sink, I would run warm water to keep it warm. But when the level got as high as it could in the sink, I would drain it and add more.
Thanks again. I know you already have given me a list of things to feed him, I had talked to this lady the other day and I asked her about the organic kale and a she that I could feed him that everyday and as much as he will eat???