sulcata ate rocks

Ameade0

Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
I have my sulcata, fred! Don't know if it's fredlina or Fred but he/she ate little pebbles on Saturday and just pooped them out. I'm scared there might be compaction or damage to its little bum or intenstine. There was 2 in its poop tonight in its bath and it looked like it was struggling. (Legs were kicking) normally they are just sprawled out clearly in comfort. Are all it's food today! Give it calcium supplement and it's cage is right temp and humidity!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have my sulcata, fred! Don't know if it's fredlina or Fred but he/she ate little pebbles on Saturday and just pooped them out. I'm scared there might be compaction or damage to its little bum or intenstine. There was 2 in its poop tonight in its bath and it looked like it was struggling. (Legs were kicking) normally they are just sprawled out clearly in comfort. Are all it's food today! Give it calcium supplement and it's cage is right temp and humidity!

This is most commonly seen in tortoises that are fed mostly grocery store greens. Does that sound like you?

The solution is twofold:
  1. Feed a better diet: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/
  2. Get some "Miner All" made by a company called "Sticky Tongue Farms". Use ut every other day for a couple of weeks and then taper off to twice a week after that. This stuff usually stops the rock eating. Note: This is usually due to a mineral imbalance. It is not due to calcium deficiency. Adding more calcium to the diet will usually make it worse. Miner All is a balanced mineral supplement, not a calcium supplement.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Eating rocks or substrate is one indication that the tortoise is missing something in his diet. Adding a sprinkling of Minerall over the food a couple times a week usually satisfies their need for more minerals in the diet.

And be sure to clean up all the pebbles out of the enclosure. If you're using a substrate that contains pebbles, get rid of it. How big is Fred?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is most commonly seen in tortoises that are fed mostly grocery store greens. Does that sound like you?

The solution is twofold:
  1. Feed a better diet: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/
  2. Get some "Miner All" made by a company called "Sticky Tongue Farms". Use ut every other day for a couple of weeks and then taper off to twice a week after that. This stuff usually stops the rock eating. Note: This is usually due to a mineral imbalance. It is not due to calcium deficiency. Adding more calcium to the diet will usually make it worse. Miner All is a balanced mineral supplement, not a calcium supplement.

Arzu78

San Juan, Puerto Rico

Hi, you are lucky their out[emoji1319][emoji1319][emoji1319]. The question is, are there more??? You can add a little bit of mineral oil to his soak, it will go in thru his cochlea and will make it easier to pass the pebbles, if he has any left. As long as he is eating, he’s good, but keep monitoring his poop!!! Hope all is well!!