Basking too much??

Dessy

Hello all i just found this a little interesting but recently i posted a thread called "inactive tort". Now my torts activity has picked up again, and i thought id give him a little home remodel so i changed his substrate from orchid bark to coconut fiber to keep the humidity up. Now he is basking more than ever! Does this have to do with his substrate change at all?

Dessy

He is eating and pooping fine his home stays about 82, humid hide is about 85 at night basking spot is about 90+

Attachments

• 1446920821224.jpg
    1446920821224.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 28

Yelloweyed

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal California
Maybe he's super happy to be warm? If food, temps and lighting is good, just keep an eye on him.

Dessy

Im just happy he's basking and is awake during the day again :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Coco fiber does not keep humidity any higher than orchid bark. In either case its a question of how much moisture is in the substrate.

If he is basking excessively, you might need to raise the overall ambient temps. Excessive basking will contribute to pyramiding even in a humid enclosure.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dessy

I just switched it all out because the compost i had underneath the bark was getting moldy. How do you keep humidity up with bark? I have a small humidifier in there, closed chamber, would pour water in everyday, and it would still drop to around 60% after about an hour. I have a small space left often for mvb but the rest is covered with plexiglass

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
When you say basking too much, what kind of time are we talking? An hour, two hours, six hours, 8 hours a day or what? We each mat be thinking different time amounts, so let's try to give it a set amount of titime he now - basks each day.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This thread got me to thinking about my two baby habitats in use right now. I don't think I've EVER seen any of them "basking." I have a habitat full of baby desert tortoises. They wander, eat, hide, drink, but I've never, ever seen any of them sitting under the light "basking." Their habitat is overall about 85F degrees, and naturally a bit warmer than that directly under the lights.

I have a little habitat that I've had a heap of trouble getting correct that contains a baby box turtle, a hatchling YF and a hatchling Manouria. Every morning their eyes are stuck shut (not humid enough). I've changed out the container three times trying to get it right for them. This latest incarnation is a 10 gallon aquarium and so far it's working. But they don't ever bask either. They eat, they sit in the water, they hide. No basking. Their habitat is overall 85F degrees too.

franz_see

Philippines
I agree with @Jacqui, by basking "too much", how long exactly? maybe you've just been staring at him for 10 minutes (I know I do :D hehe)

If he basks too much, I'd recommend you check his nose and see if it's runny. If it's runny, they like to bask. Or as what @Tom has mentioned, maybe you need to raise the overall ambient temp. Maybe your ambient temp is too low :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Also what are you using to measure the temperature? Where is it taken at? Is it from down there right next to them on the substrate?