Bath time every day and pooping...

Clementine's Keeper

Location (City and/or State)
Houston, Texas
We have very few pieces to a very large puzzle when it comes to understanding what happens in the wild. In topics like this, what happens in the wild frequently becomes part of the heated debate. I think its good to try to understand what these tortoises of all the various species encounter and survive in the wild, but all the speculation about what happens in the wild carries less weight with me than the large body of factual evidence that we have from the thousands of captive tortoises that occupy our enclosures all day every day. I work with several reptile vets, and we know what typically goes wrong with captive tortoises. One of the major problems plaguing captive tortoises of all species is chronic dehydration as a direct result of keepers attempting to duplicate what they mistakenly think happens in the wild. Another known fact about the wild is that somewhere between 300 and 1000 babies die for every tortoise that survives to adulthood. The wild is a very stark and harsh place and it is difficult for them to survive there. Obviously, many do survive, but the hardships they encounter and survive are substantial. In captivity we can give them optimal conditions, instead of the barely survivable conditions they might encounter in the wild. Regular soaks to keep them hydrated, whether they initially seem to like it or not, are one of these ways we can help keep them healthy and thriving.

What size is your tortoise? Only babies need daily soaks. Adults are usually fine with 1-3 soaks a week, depending on weather and climate. In a more humid mild climate, once a week is plenty. In a very hot dry climate like mine, 2 or 3 soaks a week in our hot summers is more appropriate. If you are soaking daily, it is not a surpise that you never see your tortoise drink. They typical take on lots of water during a soak, so no need to drink for the rest of the day. Also, sticking their neck out and taking a drink is a very vulnerable position for them to be in. Its not surprising that tortoises don't do this when they know people are around. I recently had 20 young russians in outdoor enclosures and the only time I ever saw one drink was when I snuck up and peeked over the little wall of their enclosure. I only ever saw the single tortoise drink on that one occasion. As soon as he caught sight of me in his periphery, he immediately stopped drinking and left the area of the water bowl.

In the wild they do have rainy periods, and while I have never seen a photo of a wild Russian tortoise soaking in a rain puddle, I'd bet money that it happens.
Thanks! You really do know your stuff. I hope I'm not soaking her too frequently, she's just turned 1 year and weights 160g....?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks! You really do know your stuff. I hope I'm not soaking her too frequently, she's just turned 1 year and weights 160g....?
If you soak every day and the tortoise doesn't need it, no harm is done. On the other hand, if you don't soak often enough, bad things can happen.

In general, I soak every day until they reach about 100 grams. After that, I start skipping days occasionally. By the time they are 4-5 inches, I'm soaking them 2-3 times a week. During your humid Houston summers, you can get away with less, but it will do no harm if you soak your tortoise every day forever.

ClydesMom

Phoenix, Arizona
We have very few pieces to a very large puzzle when it comes to understanding what happens in the wild. In topics like this, what happens in the wild frequently becomes part of the heated debate. I think its good to try to understand what these tortoises of all the various species encounter and survive in the wild, but all the speculation about what happens in the wild carries less weight with me than the large body of factual evidence that we have from the thousands of captive tortoises that occupy our enclosures all day every day. I work with several reptile vets, and we know what typically goes wrong with captive tortoises. One of the major problems plaguing captive tortoises of all species is chronic dehydration as a direct result of keepers attempting to duplicate what they mistakenly think happens in the wild. Another known fact about the wild is that somewhere between 300 and 1000 babies die for every tortoise that survives to adulthood. The wild is a very stark and harsh place and it is difficult for them to survive there. Obviously, many do survive, but the hardships they encounter and survive are substantial. In captivity we can give them optimal conditions, instead of the barely survivable conditions they might encounter in the wild. Regular soaks to keep them hydrated, whether they initially seem to like it or not, are one of these ways we can help keep them healthy and thriving.

What size is your tortoise? Only babies need daily soaks. Adults are usually fine with 1-3 soaks a week, depending on weather and climate. In a more humid mild climate, once a week is plenty. In a very hot dry climate like mine, 2 or 3 soaks a week in our hot summers is more appropriate. If you are soaking daily, it is not a surpise that you never see your tortoise drink. They typical take on lots of water during a soak, so no need to drink for the rest of the day. Also, sticking their neck out and taking a drink is a very vulnerable position for them to be in. Its not surprising that tortoises don't do this when they know people are around. I recently had 20 young russians in outdoor enclosures and the only time I ever saw one drink was when I snuck up and peeked over the little wall of their enclosure. I only ever saw the single tortoise drink on that one occasion. As soon as he caught sight of me in his periphery, he immediately stopped drinking and left the area of the water bowl.

In the wild they do have rainy periods, and while I have never seen a photo of a wild Russian tortoise soaking in a rain puddle, I'd bet money that it happens.
At what age/size do you consider a tortoise an adult? I soak Clyde at least once a week but shoot for 3x a week as well as he has fresh water daily in his enclosure. Living in Arizona it's dry and not knowing exactly how old he is I'm wondering if I should be soaking him daily. He does not always poop and sometimes I find poop in his enclosure so he must not need water to poop anyway.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
At what age/size do you consider a tortoise an adult? I soak Clyde at least once a week but shoot for 3x a week as well as he has fresh water daily in his enclosure. Living in Arizona it's dry and not knowing exactly how old he is I'm wondering if I should be soaking him daily. He does not always poop and sometimes I find poop in his enclosure so he must not need water to poop anyway.
I soak any tortoise under 100 grams daily. After 100 grams, I start skipping a day now and them. By the time they are 4-5 inches and several hundred grams, I'm usually down to two or three soaks a week, depending on weather, season, current foods, etc...