Beak care & Winter slow down?

2kidsplus

Location (City and/or State)
West Lafayette, IN
I’m concerned that my red footed tortoise’s beak needs trimmed. I’ve tried the calcium beak block and she has no interest. Thoughts? Suggestions? I honestly don’t know what normal is.

I’ve also noticed that she seems to be less active right now than norm. She’s pretty content to just hang in her “hide”. Eating seems normal and so have her soaks.

Attachments

• IMG_4720.jpeg
    IMG_4720.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
I’m concerned that my red footed tortoise’s beak needs trimmed. I’ve tried the calcium beak block and she has no interest. Thoughts? Suggestions? I honestly don’t know what normal is.

I’ve also noticed that she seems to be less active right now than norm. She’s pretty content to just hang in her “hide”. Eating seems normal and so have her soaks.
It definitely needs trimmed. You should also switch the food dish to a harder surface that can help keep that beak in check. Don't chop the food up so much make them work at it a little. These things help with keeping the beak a smaller size.

Reactions: Ink

2kidsplus

West Lafayette, IN
It definitely needs trimmed. You should also switch the food dish to a harder surface that can help keep that beak in check. Don't chop the food up so much make them work at it a little. These things help with keeping the beak a smaller size.
Is trimming the beak something that is easily done? We do have a reptile vet practice in town that I can go to if needed.

Suggestions on a dish? I thought I bought the right one. I appreciate the guidance.

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
Is trimming the beak something that is easily done? We do have a reptile vet practice in town that I can go to if needed.

Suggestions on a dish? I thought I bought the right one. I appreciate the guidance.
I have not had to trim a beak yet. My redfoot is not that old. As far as the food dish. Something like a rock surface, that would allow them to scrap their beak on while eating

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
@Yvonne G or @Maggie3fan will let you know. It needs to be trimmed, but to me it seems extremely overgrown and a vet might need to do it. Wait for an expert.

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
The redfoot beak should be pretty short. I don't believe it's hard to do. If you would feel more comfortable with taking it to the vet the first time and getting an eye on how they do it you could. Proper maintaining of it after that could be done with a file or nail clippers. That one is probably going to need cut down with a Dremmel tool. The thing to remember for the future is it's a tortoise and should not have a nose like Squidward. Here is a proper looking beak
Screenshot_20240111_194600_Brave.jpgScreenshot_20240111_193734_Brave.jpg

Last edited:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
@ZEROPILOT might have an idea too.
I've never seen a SHNOZ like that on a Redfoot.
I'd let my vet trim him. But it's probably a simple procedure. Just not one I'm familiar with.

Feeding your tortoise off of a cement slab, or a peice of slate or a terra cotta dish or even an overturned ceramic tile keeps them trimmed naturally

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
All of TFO recommends the rock or piece of slate to keep the beak short...I have overgrown beaks and that advice never worked at my house...slate wouldn't file back and forth over a beak to keep it filed short. It's the yanking and pulling at grass and weeds that works....

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
All of TFO recommends the rock or piece of slate to keep the beak short...I have overgrown beaks and that advice never worked at my house...slate wouldn't file back and forth over a beak to keep it filed short. It's the yanking and pulling at grass and weeds that works....
I've never filed a beak.
35 plus years.
Nails either for that matter. I do give credit to my cement pads.
(Though I have no absolute proof)