Beak issues with my Greek Tort

hbos03

5 Year Member
Hi my 5 year old tortoise has developed a raised area at 1 side of his beak. It looks like a tear but I'm not sure if his beak is needing trimmed. He is eating great and no other issues, the 1st 2 pic are showing the jaggy out bit and the last pic shows his other side of his face. I would appreciate any feed back thanks ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1430679671.011476.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1430679692.643877.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1430679712.023751.jpg

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
His beak is overgrown and needs to be carefully trimmed. That odd bit looks like it may be new growth filling in the dip where it broke in the past.

hbos03

5 Year Member
Thanks so much would you recommend taking him to a vet to trim or doing at home?

hbos03

5 Year Member
I've made appointment with experienced vet so he will get a check up and beak trim, thanks again

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
Make sure he has a cuttlebone and place his food on a piece of slate or tile.
This will help ensure it is kept under control naturally for the future.

puffy137

Hmm , none of my greeks have overgrown beaks . Their food goes straight onto the sand , & they have stalks of lettuce stumps to gnaw on , as well as cuttle fish. Even if I was to place their food on a tile they would soon walk all over it & it would end up on the ground. I mean 25 hungry torts are not going to wait patiently for food served on platters etc .:) I supposes being a lone tort can be like being an only child . More time to instill certain etiquette & table manners.;)
Having said that, what a lovely face he has , looks like a wise old tort to me.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
Hmm , none of my greeks have overgrown beaks . Their food goes straight onto the sand , & they have stalks of lettuce stumps to gnaw on , as well as cuttle fish. Even if I was to place their food on a tile they would soon walk all over it & it would end up on the ground. I mean 25 hungry torts are not going to wait patiently for food served on platters etc .:) I supposes being a lone tort can be like being an only child . More time to instill certain etiquette & table manners.;)
Having said that, what a lovely face he has , looks like a wise old tort to me.
Tidgy even passes the port the correct way round the table.