Bee Keepers?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
It seems like a lot of tortoise keepers are into the same sort of things. I've met lots of people that are into the same things I am into. I just discovered quite by chance that two of my favorite TTPG friends are also bee keepers.

Anyone one else here like messin' with bees and eatin' honey?

IMG_9125.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I like honey but not being a bee keeper, although I have thought about it.
There is a couple keepers in my neighborhood though.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I kept one hive stacked to 3 levels at least a century ago (well, half a century anyway). For a year or two everything went well. I had a mentor who would stop by now and then. He also had a centrifuge, so he would spin out my honey for me. Life was delicious and sweet.

But then there was a change in the bee population of some sort, and they took a disliking to me. I'd approach from the rear, and I could watch as the sentry bees would check me out, go into the hive, and emerge with 8-10 of their buddies. Then they'd come after me, driving me away from the hive and into the house.

My mentor stopped by on a Saturday evening once...he was dressed in a tux for a formal event near by. He walked right up to the hive, no protection at all, no net or smoke, and lifted the lid off! Not even one threat of a sting!

It wasn't long after that I went out one night and put the wedge in, and called my mentor to come and get them. He was kind enough to give me that season's honey.

I have missed them on occasion. Until I had been sought out and stung 25-30 times (not all at once!), I enjoyed caring for them. Bees are big business here with so much farming. I enjoy driving along and spotting hives sitting at the edges of fields under their shade cloth canopies, but I have no desire to start keeping again. 🐝