Moving to Oklahoma with my tortoise, maybe?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
Anyone here keep tortoises in Northern Oklahoma?

Levi my leopard tortoise has moved quite a bit over the last 11 years. We started out in CA, then came to OR and now we are looking into OK. Despite this being Levi's third state, it would be his....9th? or maybe even 10th move. So, anyone who says you can't take a pet tortoise with you when you move is just being lazy! :tort: :p

I'd love some input from any tortoise keepers regarding the climate and how you house your tortoises outdoors. This might be my chance to FINALLY build Levi the heated/insulated shed I've been dreaming of. 😁

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, you like moving I see, yikes, I hate it and I've only done it 7 times but that's over a whole lot of years.
I'm sure whatever the weather is like, you and Levi will get it figured out perfectly.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Another house move? Some people are just gluttons for punishment!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Wow, you like moving I see, yikes, I hate it and I've only done it 7 times but that's over a whole lot of years.
I'm sure whatever the weather is like, you and Levi will get it figured out perfectly.

Ha! I don't think anyone likes moving. I sure don't! Although, by keeping the private details off the internet, I can see how it looks like that. 🤣

Some google searching has led me to believe the weather will be just fine. Better for him than OR. That's good.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Another house move? Some people are just gluttons for punishment!
Nah...I grew up in the same house, my whole life. From being brought home from the hospital to married away. & I would have loved to give that stability to my kiddos. I guess I forgot to mark the life box that says, stable life forever please! 😉

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Oklahoman here! My adults and older Juveniles stay out side full time from around end of April to the sometime in October. Then just outside during the days up until close to December. After that they stay in heated shed, I will put them outside for a few hours here and there depending on temps and of course a full sun area.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Ok, it looks like the move to Oklahoma is a go. We met with a realtor and will be listing our home next week.

I will do my best to document Levi's move. It's never easy to move. It's harder adding animals and even harder going halfway across the county. Yikes! But I want all those who feel they need to rehome an animal due to moving can see it IS possible to move WITH your animals.
In addition to Levi I'll be taking my Aussie, Blue and Gold Macaw, Pigeon, Snake & a tote of cockroaches 🤣 ...the hubbs and human kiddos too of course.

Levi is much bigger now than he was 6 years ago when we moved into this house. It's not going to be as easy to move him BUT where there is a will there is way. That ankle ramming monster is stuck with me til' the end!

My vision of a heated shed with a separate yard JUST for him (to spare my ankles) is in our future :cool: I can see it!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I hope you get his separate yard and can save your ankles some. My Billie leopard, the rescued one, charges at my feet, but never rams me, just has to step on them.
I'm sure you will have no problems getting everyone ready and packed for the move. Hope it all works out for you there.
Yes, keep us posted and have safe travels.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
change of plans.. we are now looking to South Dakota. 🤯 I'll start a new thread for that because I have lots of questions.... lol
Are you serious??? And I was just about to start singing "O...O...O...Ok...Lahoma...where the wind comes sweeping down the plain..."! Well, OK then, I guess.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Are you serious??? And I was just about to start singing "O...O...O...Ok...Lahoma...where the wind comes sweeping down the plain..."! Well, OK then, I guess.
How about "South Dakota Mornings" by the Bee Gees?

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
us Okie's don't sing that, we sing BOOMER SOONER!!