Beginner from TN

jwrych01

Location (City and/or State)
TN
Any help or advice from owners in a similar area ( or anywhere really ) would be greatly appreciated. I feel in love with a tortoise at the zoo a couple days ago and I want one, but I don’t want to be irresponsible about it. So thanks for any help and onto the questions!

Breeds that are most adapt to living in TN? Or do you just roll with what you want and adapt your care more to each animal?

Thoughts on inside vs outside?

Thoughts on getting on as a hatchling vs older—- does it matter at all as far as them being more comfortable with you?

Does size translate to more personality, or is this bad information? I understand they aren’t going to be like puppies seeking affection, but just the illusion of it is what I mean. I know they just want food but if they follow my niece around she will love it. I hope that makes sense.

Male or female, does it make a difference for any of their personality traits?

Is there a size limit on a tort being inside most of the time? What’s the parameters for allowing the turtle to “free roam” the house ie temperature,time limit, flooring, stress level?, etc.

Anything else you think I should know, feel free to share, and thank you so much.

baldegale

Any help or advice from owners in a similar area ( or anywhere really ) would be greatly appreciated. I feel in love with a tortoise at the zoo a couple days ago and I want one, but I don’t want to be irresponsible about it. So thanks for any help and onto the questions!

Breeds that are most adapt to living in TN? Or do you just roll with what you want and adapt your care more to each animal?

Thoughts on inside vs outside?

Thoughts on getting on as a hatchling vs older—- does it matter at all as far as them being more comfortable with you?

Does size translate to more personality, or is this bad information? I understand they aren’t going to be like puppies seeking affection, but just the illusion of it is what I mean. I know they just want food but if they follow my niece around she will love it. I hope that makes sense.

Male or female, does it make a difference for any of their personality traits?

Is there a size limit on a tort being inside most of the time? What’s the parameters for allowing the turtle to “free roam” the house ie temperature,time limit, flooring, stress level?, etc.

Anything else you think I should know, feel free to share, and thank you so much.

im assuming you mean the nashville zoo and their sulcatas yeah? a sulcata would do well in tennessee but youd want it to be outdoors most times after theyre 6 months old at least i think. (i dont know much about sulcatas) but it also depends on how much youre willing to spend on a tortoise for their age. aquatic critter (a reptile/fish store in nashville) typically has 1-2 probably 5ish year old sulcatas but they’re typically $400. tennessee allows you to keep most species outside all year round, you just need to build an enclosure and a night box etc which will be the bulk of your money. im sure @Tom could help you out with the enclosure options.

jwrych01

TN
im assuming you mean the nashville zoo and their sulcatas yeah? a sulcata would do well in tennessee but youd want it to be outdoors most times after theyre 6 months old at least i think. (i dont know much about sulcatas) but it also depends on how much youre willing to spend on a tortoise for their age. aquatic critter (a reptile/fish store in nashville) typically has 1-2 probably 5ish year old sulcatas but they’re typically $400. tennessee allows you to keep most species outside all year round, you just need to build an enclosure and a night box etc which will be the bulk of your money. im sure @Tom could help you out with the enclosure options.

Thanks for the reply, just trying to educate myself before I dive into it.

It was their turtles! They also had some galopogos ( didn’t spell it right ) turtles in their outdoor petting area ( not that they let pet them [emoji23]) that were very cool.

I won’t be able to support a very elaborate outdoor setup right now, but still would love to hear ideas for later down the road. For this first tortoise, if it’s feasible, I need to get one that can thrive mostly in an indoor enclosure. Like I said,if it’s a legitimate option.

Bambam1989

East Texas
Hello and welcome to the Forum.
It's great that your doing research before getting a tort. I will try to answer your questions and give advice to the best of my knowledge/ as well as my opinions. Other members will do the same.
I am not familiar with the weather in your area, but during cooler months special care needs to be taken to protect your tort from getting sick. For example, some types of torts brumate(hybernate) when the days start getting shorter and temps drop. These torts either need to be brought inside and temps/ lighting controlled to prevent brumation or a cool quit and safe place must be provided for them to brumate. If you get a non-brumating type then they must have a warm place to stay in cooler months. Some modify basements or build special barns for them, this along with a "night box" (think heated, insulated dog house) smaller non brumating torts can be given indoor enclosures.
Inside or outside depends on the type and age of your tort as well as what you prefer. Most "baby" torts are kept inside in an enclosure so that optimal temps and humidity needs can be provided for the best and healthiest growth as well as their safety. Short trips outside during warm weather during this time. Once any tort gets old enough it can be kept outside as long as the weather is nice. Every type of tort needs its own care.
Hatchling vs older is really depending on personal opinion. If you get a hatchling, make sure that it comes from a reputable breeder. If a hatchling is not started properly it can result in death and heartbreak later(hatchling failure syndrome).
Larger torts are often considered to be more "outgoing" but I think the little tort can have just as much personality. No matter what kind of tort you get it may or not be interested in human interaction, this literally varies from tort to tort.
Males are usually considered to be more outgoing, but once again there are exceptions. If you decide to get a hatchling, you won't know what the gender is until it gets older.
Most people on this forum do not recommend letting your tort "free roam" the house. They could ingest something, bite electrical wires, be exposed to cleaning products, eat carpet fibers, the list goes on and on. Heat also rises, so it may be warm and toasty to you but quite chilly on the floor. It would be quite uncomfortable for you to have the heat cranked up to make the floor 80F or higher. If a tort is kept inside it needs its own enclosure, for most of even the smallest types of torts that requires a floor space of 8x4.

If you tell us what your expectations are exactly we can make suggestions on what type would best fit you.
I have a 5 month old salcata, I will not consider it to be large enough to be kept outside full time until it reaches about 10" in straight carapace length.

jwrych01

TN
Hello and welcome to the Forum.
It's great that your doing research before getting a tort. I will try to answer your questions and give advice to the best of my knowledge/ as well as my opinions. Other members will do the same.
I am not familiar with the weather in your area, but during cooler months special care needs to be taken to protect your tort from getting sick. For example, some types of torts brumate(hybernate) when the days start getting shorter and temps drop. These torts either need to be brought inside and temps/ lighting controlled to prevent brumation or a cool quit and safe place must be provided for them to brumate. If you get a non-brumating type then they must have a warm place to stay in cooler months. Some modify basements or build special barns for them, this along with a "night box" (think heated, insulated dog house) smaller non brumating torts can be given indoor enclosures.
Inside or outside depends on the type and age of your tort as well as what you prefer. Most "baby" torts are kept inside in an enclosure so that optimal temps and humidity needs can be provided for the best and healthiest growth as well as their safety. Short trips outside during warm weather during this time. Once any tort gets old enough it can be kept outside as long as the weather is nice. Every type of tort needs its own care.
Hatchling vs older is really depending on personal opinion. If you get a hatchling, make sure that it comes from a reputable breeder. If a hatchling is not started properly it can result in death and heartbreak later(hatchling failure syndrome).
Larger torts are often considered to be more "outgoing" but I think the little tort can have just as much personality. No matter what kind of tort you get it may or not be interested in human interaction, this literally varies from tort to tort.
Males are usually considered to be more outgoing, but once again there are exceptions. If you decide to get a hatchling, you won't know what the gender is until it gets older.
Most people on this forum do not recommend letting your tort "free roam" the house. They could ingest something, bite electrical wires, be exposed to cleaning products, eat carpet fibers, the list goes on and on. Heat also rises, so it may be warm and toasty to you but quite chilly on the floor. It would be quite uncomfortable for you to have the heat cranked up to make the floor 80F or higher. If a tort is kept inside it needs its own enclosure, for most of even the smallest types of torts that requires a floor space of 8x4.

If you tell us what your expectations are exactly we can make suggestions on what type would best fit you.
I have a 5 month old salcata, I will not consider it to be large enough to be kept outside full time until it reaches about 10" in straight carapace length.

Thank you! I should’ve clarified free roam, it was a poor choice of words. I mean just letting them hang out with you out of the box. Highly supervised. Is this beneficial? Do they enjoy “getting out of the house”? I’ve seen videos of them pushing balls around and stuff, but I don’t know if this is enjoyment or “ get this ball away from me” kind of reactions.

I am hopeful to be able to get a tort that can stay in doors in their enclosure most of the time and still thrive and be healthy. I don’t want to short change the animal just because of my situation if it doesn’t thrive indoors. I’m willing to invest what I need too to make this happen, just don’t want to do it blind

The max sizes I see and rate of growth all vary, so it’s got me stuck on selecting a breed. I guess I’m hoping for a “medium” tort? Probably makes 0 sense..[emoji1]

Is ordering online something anybody has any experience with? I live in the sticks in TN.

Also, my family is just like “ to catch a turtle”. I feel like this could introduce so many variables,parasites, diseases, and who knows what. Plus they’ll probably hate me! [emoji1] and I’m assuming that reputable breeders get theirs checked by a vet before they send them?

Thanks for the reply! I’m so ignorant on the subject but I appreciate y’all helping me learn [emoji1]

baldegale

Thank you! I should’ve clarified free roam, it was a poor choice of words. I mean just letting them hang out with you out of the box. Highly supervised. Is this beneficial? Do they enjoy “getting out of the house”? I’ve seen videos of them pushing balls around and stuff, but I don’t know if this is enjoyment or “ get this ball away from me” kind of reactions.

I am hopeful to be able to get a tort that can stay in doors in their enclosure most of the time and still thrive and be healthy. I don’t want to short change the animal just because of my situation if it doesn’t thrive indoors. I’m willing to invest what I need too to make this happen, just don’t want to do it blind

The max sizes I see and rate of growth all vary, so it’s got me stuck on selecting a breed. I guess I’m hoping for a “medium” tort? Probably makes 0 sense..[emoji1]

Is ordering online something anybody has any experience with? I live in the sticks in TN.

Also, my family is just like “ to catch a turtle”. I feel like this could introduce so many variables,parasites, diseases, and who knows what. Plus they’ll probably hate me! [emoji1] and I’m assuming that reputable breeders get theirs checked by a vet before they send them?

Thanks for the reply! I’m so ignorant on the subject but I appreciate y’all helping me learn [emoji1]

how far are you from nashville? i live in lewisburg currently. you might be looking for something like a redfoot, but expect to have to have an indoor enclosure that is 4’x8’ or bigger. russians need a 4’x4’ or bigger im pretty sure.

jwrych01

TN
how far are you from nashville? i live in lewisburg currently. you might be looking for something like a redfoot, but expect to have to have an indoor enclosure that is 4’x8’ or bigger. russians need a 4’x4’ or bigger im pretty sure.

Red foot was the one I was starting to settle on, but wasn’t sure about the extra humidity I read they needed being from the rainforest? (If I remember right). Didn’t know if this was easily done or not. And honestly, I found some online but I’m also not sure which vendors to use and not use, as far as online goes.

jwrych01

TN
Red foot was the one I was starting to settle on, but wasn’t sure about the extra humidity I read they needed being from the rainforest? (If I remember right). Didn’t know if this was easily done or not. And honestly, I found some online but I’m also not sure which vendors to use and not use, as far as online goes.

I am about an hour and a half away, there regularly for work, if you know any vendors who can sell me a hatchling/yearling id appreciate it

baldegale

I am about an hour and a half away, there regularly for work, if you know any vendors who can sell me a hatchling/yearling id appreciate it

theres a store called the aquatic critter, they have a wide variety of reptiles and occasionally have torts. you can message them on facebook and see if they have any in stock or are getting any some time soon or if they can order one for you. theyre really nice and educated. im kinda busy atm but ill explain the humidity thing to you in a sec

baldegale

okay so basically for a redfoot youre going to have to build whats called a closed chamber. for a yearling i think youd be best to build a 4’x4’x2’ but (in 6 months to a year) build a 8’x4’x2’ its basically a closed wooden box and they retain humidity extremely well. it is best to keep them outside though. you dont need anything super elaborate especially if you get an older/bigger redfoot. you can basically make an 8’x8’ square out of cinderblocks which the blocks alone will cost about $70-$80 and then mortar if you wanna use it. being in tennessee though in winter youd have to bring it inside in the really cold spells and when it rains alot (like now) and youd have to build a night box which is basically a mini insulated closed chamber. once again @Tom will probably eventually respond to this and help you out

Bambam1989

East Texas
If a redfoot is something that your interested in I recommend you go into the species specific of this forum and select that type of tort. From there you can read posts and get an idea of what your going to expect. You can also find wonderful examples of enclosures.
Basically, i recommend not rushing into this. Do your research, ask questions, get everything ready BEFORE you buy a tort, find out who and where you want to get from. I did research for 6months straight before getting my tort and being prepared and knowing what to expect makes owning one so much more enjoyable.
PS- those videos of torts chasing balls, they are not trying to play with it. They are attacking it and trying to run the "intruder" out of their territory. They also hump on them in some instances.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Welcome, and all the very best to you!