Looking for Advice as we move from CA to TN with our Leopard Tortoise

RhodaE

Location (City and/or State)
Thousand Oaks, CA
Hi -
If anyone could post a list of recommended equipment for keeping a large leopard tortoise in TN, that would be greatly appreciated.
Our guy has been enjoying his large CA yard for many years. He has a hut with a nighttime warming light (I don't turn it on during warm nights) and a heavy duty heat pad (only for rare winter chills). Rain is so rare here, and when it does rain it's usually light rain and pretty warm out, and he goes out grazing in it.
I know once we get to TN we'll need to set up new fencing and put his hut in a good spot. There will be a great deal more rain than we're used to, and for the cold months we'll need more lamps I'm sure. Just want to make sure we don't miss anything crucial.
Thanks!

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Hi -
If anyone could post a list of recommended equipment for keeping a large leopard tortoise in TN, that would be greatly appreciated.
Our guy has been enjoying his large CA yard for many years. He has a hut with a nighttime warming light (I don't turn it on during warm nights) and a heavy duty heat pad (only for rare winter chills). Rain is so rare here, and when it does rain it's usually light rain and pretty warm out, and he goes out grazing in it.
I know once we get to TN we'll need to set up new fencing and put his hut in a good spot. There will be a great deal more rain than we're used to, and for the cold months we'll need more lamps I'm sure. Just want to make sure we don't miss anything crucial.
Thanks!
You have some cold months to prep for that will require a true heated nightbox. https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/single-tortoise-night-box.181515/post-1986776

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi -
Thanks!
Heat lamps shouldn't be used over larger tortoises. It will damage the carapace. The Kane mat is good for the bottom, but you'll need a radiant heat panel over the top too.

There is no night in T.O. that is warm enough for a leopard to have no heat. Not even in summer. You are lucky the tortoise hasn't gotten sick. I'm in SCV, so very similar climates. I work in T.O, all the time, and lived 2 years in Moorpark.

The link from black dog is good, but due to the amount of time the tortoise will be locked up in the much colder winters, you might want to build a bigger box:

It might be better get a large shed, insulate and heat it, and then have the 4x4 box inside it for winter. It won't be cheap or easy to keep a leopard tortoise in TN in winter.