Anyone here live in TN??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Missy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
My husband has been interviewing for a job in Chattanooga TN and we really love the area. I was wanting to see if anyone on the forum lives in that area and how is the climate for torts? I have a 2 year old sulcata. I know the fall and winter has to be better than where I currently live so I am excited about that. I live in central Illinois right now. I guess the main thing I would like to know is how long does your torts have to stay inside for the cold season? About what time of the year can they safely stay outside? Thanks:)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
The one on the top of my head would be Terry (Redfoot NERD)

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
My top pick medical school is there. I really really hope I end up living in TN. It looks like such a great place. I'm excited for you if you end up taking the job. Good Luck to your Husband!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
None of my sulcatas stay in side.. regardless of weather.. and your will soon be too big to stay in side as well. you will need a heated outdoor shed. start considering what to build and what will work for you now. I like the Loafing shed type idea.. covered area and the atttached shed area. all that located inside a huge fenced grazing yard. :)
Welcome.. Tn is a beautiful state.. I drove thru there once..

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
Where in Chattanooga are you looking to locate at? I lived in Soddy Daisy, TN for a summer working for the Cumberland Trail Conference (check out the CT, we dug some pretty trail...) and I have volunteered for the organization in the region during most seasons. Also have family friends living on the plateau. If you haven't yet, check out the music hall on top of Lookout Mountain on a Friday night. Some of the best old time mountain music is played there, and occasionally they'll have square dancing or a reel to join in on. As an added bonus, I've never seen a fee to enter, though you should show up early if you want a seat.

There is an exceptionally large variety of micro-climates in the area, many of which are quite cool due to the hills and gorges of the Cumberland Plateau. You'll need a nice big heated shed, but a sulcata should be pretty happy outside about 6-8 months out of the year. If I recall correctly, winter is cold but tends to warm up to cool during most days, spring is cool and wet with a touch of unbearable heat, summer is cool in the morning and at night but dreadfully hot during the day, and fall weather is beautiful for humans but perhaps a bit chilly for a tortoise.

The big tortoise hazards to worry about (IMO) are going to be naturally occurring water and rhododendron. Any naturally running water is going to stay cool (67 I think) and you definitely need to get it tested before allowing your tortoises anywhere near it. Unfortunately, mining in the area has turned much of the spring water into a pretty toxic/acidic mess. The Chattanooga area was one of the most polluted areas in the country for a long time. A tiny little creek running through the city proper was named the most polluted waterway in the US a while back (superfund has cleaned it up fairly well). That said, the ecosystem is fighting back very well and the area is very beautiful. Rhododendron is naturally occurring, very prevalent, poisonous for torts, and naturally produces a chemical in its roots that inhibits the growth of other plants.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
chairman said:
Where in Chattanooga are you looking to locate at? I lived in Soddy Daisy, TN for a summer working for the Cumberland Trail Conference (check out the CT, we dug some pretty trail...) and I have volunteered for the organization in the region during most seasons. Also have family friends living on the plateau. If you haven't yet, check out the music hall on top of Lookout Mountain on a Friday night. Some of the best old time mountain music is played there, and occasionally they'll have square dancing or a reel to join in on. As an added bonus, I've never seen a fee to enter, though you should show up early if you want a seat.

There is an exceptionally large variety of micro-climates in the area, many of which are quite cool due to the hills and gorges of the Cumberland Plateau. You'll need a nice big heated shed, but a sulcata should be pretty happy outside about 6-8 months out of the year. If I recall correctly, winter is cold but tends to warm up to cool during most days, spring is cool and wet with a touch of unbearable heat, summer is cool in the morning and at night but dreadfully hot during the day, and fall weather is beautiful for humans but perhaps a bit chilly for a tortoise.

The big tortoise hazards to worry about (IMO) are going to be naturally occurring water and rhododendron. Any naturally running water is going to stay cool (67 I think) and you definitely need to get it tested before allowing your tortoises anywhere near it. Unfortunately, mining in the area has turned much of the spring water into a pretty toxic/acidic mess. The Chattanooga area was one of the most polluted areas in the country for a long time. A tiny little creek running through the city proper was named the most polluted waterway in the US a while back (superfund has cleaned it up fairly well). That said, the ecosystem is fighting back very well and the area is very beautiful. Rhododendron is naturally occurring, very prevalent, poisonous for torts, and naturally produces a chemical in its roots that inhibits the growth of other plants.

Thanks for all the great info. I have know idea where we will look in Chattanooga to live. I want to live in the country if posable. I have only been to Chattanooga once and loved it. I went to Lookout Mountain and Rock City and all the traps, LOL. Our Kids are grown and in the Army and Navy so we do not have to think about schools so that will open up more options. Thanks for the warning about the water and Rhododendron. I guess I would have just assumed that the water would be good so I will be sure to test it. I hope the company makes a good offer because I would really love to move there. My family is from Kingsport TN and VA. and Indiana so there is nothing keeping me in Illinois except some good friends and my job that I love but can do anywhere. Tank is still young but I plan to give him a big area and a heated shed in the future.

MissTurtle

5 Year Member
I am in TN about three hours Northeast of there. We go to Chattanooga once a year for a kite festival.

Status
Not open for further replies.